To Sweep or Not To Sweep...?

BabysMomma

Reaction score
Soooo...I've got like 2 days to go going by my EDD given to me by the hospital when I had my 12 week scan...I have an appointment tomorrow and they had previously mentioned that they would offer me a sweep.

Thing is, I don't know if I actually want one! I've read up on them and women's experiences after having them and have come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly?) that it's a medical intervention that can sometimes lead to further interventions such as forceps/venthouse delivery, c-section as maybe it just wasn't the right time for bubba/body to start labouring.

I know that no one can make the decision for me, but I'm just wondering if I should decline and let nature take its course kinda thing...but then what if I go seriously overdue and then have to be induced? And I don't even know what the likelihood of getting induced would be due to a previous c-section, however that was over 18 years ago now. I had a successful VBAC 4.5 years ago so maybe induction would be an option, but I don't like the sounds of it! Thing is, I had a "failed sweep" 4.5 years ago (consultant said that cervix was too far back to reach or something) but that night my hind waters popped and I had my daughter the following afternoon!

I think I've got serious last minute nerves and a LOT of questions to ask at my appointment tomorrow! :roll:

Any sweep experiences ladies? Good or bad? I can take it :lol: x

Tri hopping here, sorry. I had a sweep last time, had one on the Thursday, it gave me the mildest contractions ever Thursday evening, Friday evening, Saturday evening and Sunday evening. All went away once I'd gone to bed and to sleep :lol: I was niggly all day on the Monday so had another sweep - only to find out I was 4cm already and actually didn't need one. I'm not sure there's any actual evidence that they work - you could've laboured naturally anyway. They're not quite the same kind of intervention as induction because there's no hormones introduced so I'd say just go for it and at worst they won't be able to do anything but give you an indication of where you are, so to speak?

It didn't hurt me when I had one, I wasn't all that bothered by it, just don't get your hopes up too much that it'll work I guess!!! Xxx

I wouldn't have one at this point.

If you go overdue and get to 41/42 weeks you can always decide to have it done then. And, you are able to decline induction for being overdue, so it should never be a case of going over and 'have to be' induced. It is always your decision.

Personally I'd try natural methods first (fresh pineapple, long walks, spicy food etc) and see how you go.

I had a sweep when I was due because I wanted to go to a midwife birthing unit and wouldn't be able to if I needed to be induced .

I had the sweep at 40 , my cervix was soft and "favourable" and she said she could feel babies hair??

The sweep didn't work and I went over by 10 days anyway . I'm mot sure I would have one again . I didn't enjoy it to say the least x

I had 3 (well 4) sweeps with my little boy.

40wks - nothing! Was 2cm but nothing actually happened just lost some plug.

40+6 - had a mw and a trainee do it so they both had a go lol! This put me in slow bloody labour i was up the hosp with contractions that endes up tailing off to sod all so they sent me home. I lost my plug and bloody show over the following 6 days.

41+3 - I gave birth 8hrs after this sweep. But my mw said i was already contracting beforehand, i just couldnt feel it as it was the very start, but within 30/60mins after this sweep they hit me and 3hrs later i was up the hosp 4cm dilated and he arrived early evening.

P.S being 10 days late you can imagine i tried every sodding myth of natural help as poss and nothing helped.

I think my 41+3 sweep gave it a good nudge, altho i was in labour already i dnt think it would of kicked off so much and quick if she had not of done one xx

Last edited:
Go for the sweep! It will help you better than most 'natural' way. Good luck if you decide to do it xxx

I went 13 days overdue and got 2 sweeps before induction. I had tried everyting in the natrual remedy book.

The sweeps failed however when I did get induced my labour progressed quite quickly, waters went on their own and no requirement of the drip. My labour was 7hr long, no complications barr a tear and epiostomy.

No idea if it did help but I like to think it did, so I would get more despite how unpleasant, but probably once I reach my due date.

xxxx

I had a sweep at 40+3, midwife said I was already 2cm and cervix was soft/favourable and could feel babies head.
40+5 my waters broke at 5:30am
40+6 - 6:00am, went to hospital for induction as was 24 hours since waters went and contractions were not close together (5mins apart)
At 7:30am I was examined - to my surprise I was already 8cms!!! So my body was doing it naturally but slowly.
I got to 10cms but contractions were still only 5 mins apart, so they put a drip in to speed things up, was pushing for over 2 hours so they decided to try ventouse, this failed so ended in forceps and episiotomy!!
Speak to midwife tomorrow, you could always ask if they can book you in on Monday for a sweep if it doesn't happen naturally before then. xx

Ladies, thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and thoughts on this. I would ideally like to at least get to/past my EDD before I have to consider if I want one or not...so I think that I may decline tomorrow and see how I go...? Argh! Why am I in two minds! :lol: In all seriousness though, it is really doing my bap in! :roll: x

Last edited:
Sooooo...I took the sweep after much discussion with the most loveliest of consultants. She is a serious pro-woman's choice person and gave me the time to ask questions and she answered any concerns I had. She totally was like, it's your body and its your choice and didn't lead me into any decision.

I'm glad that I did take the sweep though as it was found that I was already 2cm dilated! I should've known that something was up as I was literally on my hands and knees scrubbing my bathroom this morning and cleaning the house and I do NOT like cleaning :lol:

Have had some tightenings/crampy-like pains and some of my plug has come away...consultant did say that it could possibly all happen within 24hrs or at some point over the weekend! Eek!

Kinda regretting being so actively involved in cleaning today as my back is killing me and I'm like an old woman getting about haha I'm just kinda hoping that it's quick!

Thing is, I still don't know what to expect with labour. My first was a planned c-section and second it all happened pretty quickly but I was already in hospital at the time! This will be my first time at home when it happens so I'm a little anxious! x

Oh wowww how exciting. Youll be fine baby will come out one way or the other.

Hope your labour goes quick and smoothly.

Ill be watching for your labour thread ;)

xxxx

all the best hunny. Stalking for your labour thread ;) xxx

Thanks ladies! x x

Baby is still intact :lol: Had to go to hospital today to get checked as wasn't sure again if waters had broken or if it was watery discharge combined with urinary incontinence again :roll: Had speculum test and a swab taken and there wasn't any evidence of amniotic fluid, so back home I went. A little disappointed now seeing as I'm overdue EDD now, but kinda glad that I got to listen to baby's heartbeat and all was okay.

Still just getting some niggles here and there but they're nowhere near regular at all. Darn it :lol: Baby is just too comfy I think! I'm hoping it won't be long! x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back