To swaddle or not

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by Alexis2017, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Alexis2017

Alexis2017 Well-Known Member

I have a 15 day old baby and I have been loosley swaddling but so para about SID.. Is it higher risk? Do you just tuck a, blanket in to sides,?

2. Summerwine

Summerwine Well-Known Member

This website has some good info about doing it correctly @Alexis2017.

Swaddling your baby and using slings

We used the Summer Infant SwaddleMe's for the first couple of months as they felt foolproof and no excess material in the cot - totally personal preference though.

3. soffphie

soffphie Well-Known Member

The Lullaby Trust are great for advice on avoiding SID

4. Aprilxxx

Aprilxxx Well-Known Member

Alexis my baby is 4 months today and hospital and midwife advised not to swaddle. However, my nieces are only 2 and when they where born their mums were advised to swaddle.
    I was so anxious I didn’t swaddle I just tooked a blanket into the sides however I personally think it depends on your baby. My baby throws his arms in the air and wakes himself up and would of benefited from swaddling so now when I put him down I do do it with a blanket then when he’s asleep take the blanket off his arms.

Look into SIDS but the advice varies from year to year and country to country. Do what you think is best.

5. night owl

night owl Well-Known Member

I know this is old now but re swaddling - some experts say it’s a bad idea, it suppresses the startle reflex which is actually a really important part of a babies development of the central nervous system, gotta let the baby startle until they eventually grow out of it on their own, Swaddling can stop them from being able to startle x

6. WinterWolf

WinterWolf Well-Known Member

@night owl We use the love to dream swaddle suits. Baby still startles awake but their arms are kept up near their face so they just rub their face a bit and go back to sleep.