To dopler or not to dopler?

beckybean

Reaction score
Hello ladies

I am currently 18 weeks today and had hoped that when I became pregnant I would just get on with life normally, not stress and generally be a nice calm person. Oh how wrong I was!

I think (hope) it is normal for firt timers and the support on this site has been amazing.

I am trying to decide if I should buy a dopler; Eddie is just beginning to squirm which is great to feel but often I can't decide between it being trapped wind or indigestion.

Will it be reassuring or will I just stress myself out by listening to it constantly and freaking out when I may not be able to find anything. We did hear it at my 16 week appt which was amazing.

xx

I bought an angel sounds when I was 11 weeks after much deliberation. because I thought if I can't find the hb I will panic. took me a few attempts to find it but now ive got used to it I get the hb straight away its so reassuring but at the same times its hard not to worry when you can't find it. it really is personal choice x

Last edited:
I was determined not to buy one for that very reason as didn't want to panic myself but now I'm reconsidering as I worry between appts!!Ah what to do?!

I'm a first timer and I've borrowed my sister in law's doppler, which has been of great comfort at times. It took me ages to find the LO's heartbeat, but I was able to at 10+3. Now I dont always find it straight off and that panics me or I hear it quickly and pickle moves so I dont hear it anymore. I think we shouldnt reply on them, if you think something isnt right contact the mw.

I would vote no, I didnt have one in my previous pregnancies and this time I bought one early on and it's caused me nothing but stress!

I found the HB once, and since then I've not been able to and it's soooo stressful!

But it is your choice, just don't rely on it for reassurance as sometimes baby's don't want their HB to be heard!

I bought a doppler early on in the pregnancy after OH convinced me we 'needed' one. We seemed to use it loads quite early on, but since movement began, I found myself using it a lot less.

I use it for reassurance like when he has a quiet day, but that's it really. I am glad we got one though overall, so if you can afford one, then go for it :thumbup:

Last edited:
its the best gift anyone has ever bought me! i <3 my angel sounds doppler!! honestly just puts my mind at rest every time i use it x

hmmive been thinking same recently too, but still not sure if this is just an unnecessary buy x

I've just caved in and hired one for a tenner for a month from ebay...comes with the gel and batteries so no other costs. Hopefully after a month I'll be feeling movement so won't need it, but then again I may become addicted and just buy one! We'll see. Hope it doesn't make me paranoid instead! The midwife has found the heartbeat easily each time and I'm used to using dopplars on vascular patients at work so fingers crossed I can find bubba! x

Thank you all for your advice, I might just try and be patient for a wee while longer. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back