To buy or not to buy a dummy?

Dummies were great in the early days and fortunately C seems to have now decided she doesn't need it any more. She hasn't had it in the day for weeks and at night for the past few nights. I'm hoping to get rid of them all together as my niece and nephew (2.5 and 9 months) constantly have one in and it looks awful, they even speak with them in and cry if its taken away :shock:

I've noticed C does suck on her lower lip as if its a dummy though, it's so cute xx

I gave my lo a dummy at 4 weeks old, and I'm glad I did. It was a god send. He had it till 6 months old. Then he started becoming moany and grumpy without it. So we took it from him, he does occasionally have a dummy now if he's unsettled. And I always take one with me. He's good with it or without if. But it's a great comfort to him.xxx

After trying to console Scott for nearly 2 hours I am happy to say he is now the proud owner of a dummy lol. Just walked up tesco and grabbed him a pack and he sucked it the second it touched his lips!

Hallelujah! :)

Tapatalking so can't see sigs or click thanks!

I'm hoping to get rid of them all together as my niece and nephew (2.5 and 9 months) constantly have one in and it looks awful, they even speak with them in and cry if its taken away :shock:

Urgh! That's what I hate about them, kids that are obviously too old for them with them in! I've seen kids in uniforms round our way with them in!

I'm hoping to get rid of them all together as my niece and nephew (2.5 and 9 months) constantly have one in and it looks awful, they even speak with them in and cry if its taken away :shock:

Urgh! That's what I hate about them, kids that are obviously too old for them with them in! I've seen kids in uniforms round our way with them in!

I agree, my friends daughter used to have one at the age of 3. When she used to speak to me I constantly pretended I couldn't understand her until she removed the dummy lol. It never took her long to realise I wouldn't have a chat to her until it was out her mouth and she used to remove it as soon as she seen me lol.

There's a farm not far from me called ash end and they encourage toddlers to give up there dummies by donating them to the piglets. In the pig barn there are literally thousands of dummies hanging on strings :)

I hate the things and was adamant that I wouldn't let Joshua have one...however, we did buy an orthopaedic dummy just in case lol...

Glad we did - when he was 3 days old and we were finally home, I couldn't get him to settle, no matter what I did...so I sterilised the darned dummy, popped it in and the rest is history. He is only allowed it when he is napping (and doesn't always need it, thank goodness) and I take it out when he has dropped off...hoping he wont get too reliant on it.

Love that "donating a dummy to a piglet" Tambo...such a great idea! xx

I agree, my friends daughter used to have one at the age of 3. When she used to speak to me I constantly pretended I couldn't understand her until she removed the dummy lol. It never took her long to realise I wouldn't have a chat to her until it was out her mouth and she used to remove it as soon as she seen me lol.

There's a farm not far from me called ash end and they encourage toddlers to give up there dummies by donating them to the piglets. In the pig barn there are literally thousands of dummies hanging on strings :)

Like that idea! My Sil had to bribe nephew to give it up at age three by telling him father christmas wouldn't come if he still had it! All I could think was she should've took it off him before!! No doubt tho she's probably thinking 'just give him a bloody dummy!' When my lad is crying!

I hated the idea of dummies and had absolutely no intention of using one for Alex... after three weeks of him only settling by sucking on the end of one of our fingers I gave in and we got some - I so wish we'd had them from birth, would have made the first three weeks so much more enjoyable. Will definitely have them on standby from birth if I ever have another baby!

I had no strong feelings about a dummy either way.
The main thought I had was "well, he's gonna want to suck something, and a dummy's going to be a lot easier to take off him than his thumb..." So I got him one.

He actually wasn't interested in it for a few weeks. We'd offer it now and then as part of the list (Food? Nappy? Dummy? Sleep? Hot? Cold?) and he'd just spit it straight back out. Suddenly one day he took it, and that was that.
Now he has it for naps and when he goes down at night.
Pop it in, he sucks it for five minutes while he dozes off, then it falls out and I move it away.
He never needs it in the night, just to start with.

When my folks took my dummy off me, it joined the dummy tree. (This tree is literally covered in dummies), for another little baby to enjoy.
(Obviously they don't actually go to other babies, but I didn't know that, lol) xx

Is 9 months too old for a dummy though?

(I know you mention kiddies in uniform which is shocking but I just wondered what age you think the cut off point is?)

I am going to try and get rid of James' soon but he really does love it. It's currently another toy as he is just figuring out how to take it out, put it back in and even give it to me and Daddy so we're going to leave it for a little while longer.

Two of my nephews never took to a dummy, two have been weaned off dummy and one still has a dummy. He is two but my sister is having another baby in September so she has decided not to wean him from his dummy until a bit later as she doesn't want him to get jealous of new baby if he has to have a dummy.

Oddly the nephew that had his dummy the longest is actually the brightest, most grown-up [for his age] and the one you would least expect to have a dummy. He was over 3 when he gave it to santa. Again a new baby had been thrown into the mix though so his parents decided to let him keep it for nap times as to not make him feel pushed out as their other baby also had a dummy.

Sorry, I've rambled! Just wanted to say there are sometimes reasons for toddlers have dummies and it's not pure laziness.

xxxxxxx

Is 9 months too old for a dummy though?

(I know you mention kiddies in uniform which is shocking but I just wondered what age you think the cut off point is?)

I am going to try and get rid of James' soon but he really does love it. It's currently another toy as he is just figuring out how to take it out, put it back in and even give it to me and Daddy so we're going to leave it for a little while longer.

Two of my nephews never took to a dummy, two have been weaned off dummy and one still has a dummy. He is two but my sister is having another baby in September so she has decided not to wean him from his dummy until a bit later as she doesn't want him to get jealous of new baby if he has to have a dummy.

Oddly the nephew that had his dummy the longest is actually the brightest, most grown-up [for his age] and the one you would least expect to have a dummy. He was over 3 when he gave it to santa. Again a new baby had been thrown into the mix though so his parents decided to let him keep it for nap times as to not make him feel pushed out as their other baby also had a dummy.

Sorry, I've rambled! Just wanted to say there are sometimes reasons for toddlers have dummies and it's not pure laziness.

xxxxxxx

I don't think 9 months is too old for a dummy, but I don't think dummies should ever be in 24/7 as in my nephew's case. I don't see anything wrong with using them for naps even at 2 or 3 especially as you say it's hard to get them to give them up with a younger sibling, but I don't see any reason why a child should ever have it in their mouth (unless upset/ill) when they're not sleeping. Which is what the pp said about kids in uniforms, why are they walking around with them in during the day? Xx

Oh yep agree that older kids (especially kids of school age :shock:) should have limited usage as they have the comprehension.

James has his quite a lot whilst he isn't sleeping at the moment - as I said he'd just discovered it's use as a toy - and I don't want to take it off of him whilst he is playing?

Not sure what we'll do, but I want to get into the habit of it being just for sleep.

xxxxxxx

I went around in circles about the dummy. I was dead against them when pregnant. When I quit breastfeeding O became really sucky so he'd obviously been comfort sucking with me & I hadn't realised it. I caved & gave him a dummy. Weeks later & I had enough. Amongst family he had been branded the worst dummy sucker in the world. He'd cry for it but couldn't grasp how to keep it in his mouth. I'd be up loads through the night as he'd drop it out & cry to have it put back in. I was exhausted getting up for the dummy alone. There were some nights I'd pop it back in & my arse would barely have touched my bed & he would have dropped it out & started crying again. A week ago today I took him off it & haven't looked back. His sleep is solid now, so is mine! Now we're both only up once a night for a feed. :) That first day was sheer hell. He cried, I cried but we're both happier without it. :)

Lily wouldn't take a dummy and in the end i was glad she didn't cos it was one less thing to worry about weaning! She found other ways of comforting herself (sucking on the palm of her hand at first and playing with her top now). Jack doesn't seem to be a sucky baby so i haven't offered one.

I don't think 9 months is to old for a dummy either, I don't even think 3 is to old for one IF they only use it to nap/sleep with or if they are poorly . It's when they have it hanging out their mouths all the time, even when they are talking to you that it gets a bit ridiculous.

I also remember a dummy helping me wean my kids lol. I would scoop some food in and pop the dummy in and they would just suck the food down. Saved a lot of mess and helped them swallow the food x

I had no particular feelings towards dummies when I had B and he didn't have one till he was 8 weeks old as I was trying to express and he was crying for food and the more he cried the less milk I was getting so I found a dummy that was free with a set and it was fab!
We stopped it cold turkey at 6 months but he wasn't bothered.

On a slightly different note do any of your Los have comforters? B doesn't seem to want or need anything but I wondered if he should have something?

I had no particular feelings towards dummies when I had B and he didn't have one till he was 8 weeks old as I was trying to express and he was crying for food and the more he cried the less milk I was getting so I found a dummy that was free with a set and it was fab!
We stopped it cold turkey at 6 months but he wasn't bothered.

On a slightly different note do any of your Los have comforters? B doesn't seem to want or need anything but I wondered if he should have something?

The only thing O is remotely interested in at the moment is Tweety's taggy. He'll attempt to grab it & hold it when I lay it on his chest. Other people have bought him different comforters (the wee teddy's holding blankets etc.) & he's not interested. Maybe when he's older. I'm probably asking for trouble but I think it's so cute when a wee kid loves their comforters, I hope O wants one. :)

DON'T DO IT!!!

when pregnant my opinion was if u have a sucky or colicy or moany baby etc there's no reason not to use a dummy just not all the time and not too old, I really hate it when kids of 2,3 or older can't talk properly cos there's constantly a dummy stuck in thier mouth!

we had a dummy free with a set we bought before lo was born and I said to oh not to give it to her unless it was absolutely necessary as right from the start ruby was a sleepy, quiet, very happy baby, and just didnt need it. so he started giving her a dummy without me knowing when I was asleep and he was watching her without any reason, bloody oh!

Ive managed to get her off the dummy during the day but at the moment she won't go to sleep at night without it which is a massive pain cos like HopesD 10mins later it falls out and she wakes up screaming for it back Oo

if u really think it's necessary use a dummy, just be aware it's not always a solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back