To announce or not!

Nessa

Reaction score
We are going to one of my best friend's 50th birthday party in a couple of weeks. I will be 12+1 on that day. My scan isn't until 4 days after this - do I tell everyone at the party or just come up with some (slightly) lame excuse for not drinking?

The main problem I have is that when we are with these friends I am known to have quite a lot to drink, as we stay overnight. (I must sound a right alcoholic!)

We are seeing the birthday boy in 2 weeks so will probably tell them then, but I don't know whether to tell everyone else until after I've had the scan.

Arggggh, the dilemmas of pregnancy. X

I personally didn't tell most people until I'd had the scan. I let my parents know as we were staying with them over Christmas and the fact that I was nauseous, had a bump and wasn't drinking alcohol or eating goats cheese would have given it away! Also told a few very close friends who I would have needed for support had something gone wrong.

I had my staff do at 6 weeks pregnant and people did pick up on me not drinking, but only one asked if I was pregnant and this was because of my tummy as well. I guess the problem is when people who know you really well pick up on it. Maybe play it by ear and if only 1 person asks then you could confide in them, but ask for their discretion until after your scan.

I waited until my scan. Also, if it were you birthday celebration and someone announced they were pregnant would you feel a bit like your celebration was forgotten? Most people would be fine but I'm always a bit wary of taking attention from anyone else... Just a thought.

We waited till I had my scan, but as I have found out that's no guarantee that things can't still go wrong! I would probably try and wait and say your on antibiotics for something? X

I'd wait myself plus it may take the attention from the birthday person IMO xx

I'd wait too - I have the same kind of dilemma - have a hen party to go to in 2 weeks and I have my scan a few days later ... I'd been hoping to have it before then so I could just 'come out' before hand, but I don't want to tell everyone til I'm confident everything is ok. My plan is to just say I'm on antibiotics that I can't have alcohol with - cos I'm the same, people will find it very strange I'm not drinking! If they ask what it's for just say a uti! X x

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I'm not planning on standing up and making a big announcement or anything - that's just not me. It was more of a shall I bother hiding it? Most of the people there are close friends so will be part of my support network one way or another. And tbh I'm totally rubbish at keeping secrets, so lying is going to be very difficult.

Thanks for your replies. All food for thought. X

Nessa,

I went out last night with plans to hide the fact I'm pregnant, but I can't lie to save myself, and the cover up wasn't working. By the end of the night they all knew.

At the end of the day, if I miscarried i would have told them anyway. Whatever is best for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back