TMI - vagina post partum

firstfreakout

Reaction score
So this is probably the hardest thing to explain via typing, but I have a question regarding the post partum vagina. :oooo:

I am 5 weeks post partum from a vaginal labour with an episiotomy and suction, and about 3 weeks ago I had an ERPC (removal of retained placenta) via re-entering the cervix. My episiotomy scar has healed in regards to the stitches having dissolved and the wound is closed. It's still slightly tender and red but not too much of a bother.

I went to the GP last week as I noticed the inside/walls of my vagina feel incredibly lumpy and bumpy, like they're swollen still but more bumpy than anything. I remember pre-labour the walls were relatively smooth so I'm a bit confused.

The GP said everything looked anatomically okay, that there were no medical issues, but didn't really say if this was normal. She said I may still be swollen but seemed confused when I asked her about it despite looking herself. I have looked myself with a mirror and I can see the inside LOOKS visibly bumpy as well as feeling it.

Does anyone know any of what I'm talking about? :shock:
I have my 6 week check up on the 24th so I'll ask again but I'm just a bit concerned as I would like to start having sex again but I know that these bumps are going to make it feel odd for my OH and slightly nervous that they'll never go away?

I would think you could still have a fair amount of swelling for a good few weeks, I don't remember being fully healed within the 6 weeks.
It might be too early to tell if there is any longer term damage like a prolapse.

^^ this. Still very early days in terms of healing.

And be prepared for it not to go back to how it was before. That said, it shouldn't be impeding your sex life long term so if it doesn't settle down and causes problems with sex see the gp again.

Thanks guys. I actually had sex yesterday and there was no pain or discomfort at all, so that's good to know!
I'll mention it again at my next check.. I guess everything will take some time!

Can always get a referral to the pelvic physio and they check any concerns. I turned out to have some muscle trauma which basically was some muscle that was bunched up and too tense. So rather than focussing on squeezing everything tight I had to focus on relaxing everything too. I did end up having discomfort during sex from that as some point. I had a cut tear and forcep delivery and I had more check ups that gave me an easy referral to that one... though you can always ask...

I've had sex twice since delivery (vaginal birth, 3 significant tears) and its still a bit tender but certainly not standing in the way of things being enjoyable. Honestly it took me 4 months to feel fully "recovered" physically from giving birth. I know it's super frustrating but things will continue to move back into place for a while lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back