Tips on how to get things going.

NIE

Reaction score
Do any of you mummys have any good tips to get labour started?

I am hoping I'll go any day by myself :pray: , but wouldn't mind giving it a little hand to get started. I have heard of eating a hot curry, orgasm and loads of nookie. I will be trying these starting tomorrow, but any other ideas would be much appreciated. xxx

i dont think any thing is going to help really, baby will come when it wants to.

I even drank a bottle of castor oil last time and it did nothing, we ate curries and pineapple every day and other then give me a funny tummy, alana was 15 days late :rotfl:

Keep active, well as active as a pregnant lady can be :D

When I was 6 days OD and tearing my hair out I asked my sister what I could do and she told me to go out for a brisk walk, find some gentle slopes and yomp up them as fast as I could. I came home, took my shoes off and my waters broke over the kitchen floor :D

Might be nothing be it worked for me and I was desperate :)

I ate curry, walked briskly, had sex, bumped down the stairs on my bum :oops: and ate a whole pineapple every day but Maddison just came when she wanted to although she was 4 days early :D

Lots of sex and legs in the air afterwards worked with DD (like a couple times a day if you can manage it ;) ). Keep really active and do lots of walking, make sure you're drinking 3 good strong cups of raspberry leaf tea a day (2 teabags and leave to stew for aaaaages), a few drops of clary sage oil in your bath, hot curry, fresh pineapple by the bucket load.

oh god i cant stand the smell of clary sage oil now hehe, i over did it with that stuff :rotfl:

My first baby was induced and ended up 18 days overdue
My second baby was induced and ended up 15 days overdue

I basically have no bloody clue how to answer your question lol

Xena said:

same here, i tried everything and ryan came out at t+10 after a sweep at t+9

i was eating a pineapple a day :(

Not sure if anything really has an effect but I found being active helped. I'd walked round for hours when my waters broke with Jess and she was born at 39 weeks. I tried everything with Aimee and she was induced at 11 days over but she was in the wrong position. I was cleaning up and brushing and mopping the kitchen floor whan my waters broke with Nathan but I had had a sweep the day before :think:

i became fed up after 31st may which was my period due date, and it was very hot and sunny- not good when ur about to pop!

so i researched this a lot, and found there are only 2 things that actually work- the others, including pineapples and curry, are myths.

the 2 that work are oxytocin and prostaglandins.

oxytocin is the hormone u make when u hav an orgasm or lots of nipple stimulation (nipple stim needs to be pretty much constant)

prostaglandins are hormones in semen.

i told my boyf this but he wasnt having any of it! "get this baby out of me" is apparently a turn-off! :rotfl:
i even offered him BJs as i read that prostaglandins work better that way but he turned that down too!

so, my only option was oxytocin. i couldnt be @rsed with constant nipple stimulation i thought the orgasms sounded much more fun! ok yes my boyf wouldnt come near me but i didnt need him to get them :wink:
i had about 3 that week and i gave birth on my due date :)

(although it may hav had nothing to do with it, but it was fun anyway- lol!)

Nothing seemed to work for me :(

Lola was 12 days overdue and i tried everything apart from caster oil!!

i walked up the stairs 2 steps at a time to get the contractions started after my waters broke...

and the morning i had my show i went for a 3 mile walk.. the waters broke about an hour after i got bk...

i think the goijng for a walk when your tightening your tummy naturally.. a little sloppy walk.. or up and down the stairs (carefully) might get things started..

I tried everything... including something no one else has mentioned...

Going to the midwife in tears begging her to induce me because I'd had enough :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I had sex, curry's, pineapple, raspberry leaf tea, bumping up and down stair (we lived on the third floor and they were concrete.. i went all the way down them), tried long walks, well I tried everything... :rotfl: Tia arrived when she wanted... babies always do... or they need to be forced out with dynamite.. :rotfl:

Xena said:

Ditto! Mine was 18 days early though!

The only thing I did the day before was go for a walk to my grandparents' house.

So basically the list goes:

Sex
Curries
Brisk walks.
Nipple stimulation
Raspberry Leaf
Clary Sage oil
Fresh Pineapple

I also read about massaging the fleshy part of your hands between your tumb and index finger.

Looks like I'll be busy over the next week or so. xxx

NIE said:
I also read about massaging the fleshy part of your hands between your tumb and index finger.

This is a really good thing to do if you've got a headache. Its a pressure point and massaging here helps relieve the pain.

No idea whether it helps start labour or not :D

I remember doing the hand thing when I was pregnant with DD!

Forgot about nipple stimulation - if you've got a breastpump apparently using that for a few minutes each side for a couple of hours is supposed to help :lol: Electric one would be better to save your hand ;)

According to acupressure if you feel 4 finger widths in from your ankle bone and press on the bit where the shin meets the fatty tissue you can induce labour. 10 second compressions 3 times. It should be quite painful.

I'm giving it a go...

On the day I went into labour I spent the day bawling my eyes out because I put my cat to sleep. That evening I was really pissed off and had a glass of wine with my dinner (my first for 9 months). Half an hour later my waters broke.

I dont know if it was down to the wine or the crying or if was just time... who knows...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back