Tips for swollen ankles?

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi,

My DH says I must have a tick box of symptoms of pregnancy that my body is working through or something as since this weekend I've got swollen ankles and feet to add to all the other niggles! They're ok in the morning and I only had my blood pressure taken last Wednesday and it was only 110/60 so I'm not too worried about pre-eclampsia at the moment but they got particularly bad on Saturday evening after I'd been sitting down most of the day and they really were sore not to mention looking horrid! I think that sitting for too long made them bad so I moved around more on Sunday but they were still bigger than normal at the end of the day. I'm at work now and my shoes are getting tighter and tighter!

I know you should raise them but how high? And does anyone know of ways of relieving the swelling feeling if they do get big? Any foot soak ideas or potions? I read somewhere that you should raise them higher than your heart- any ideas as to how to do this at work or at home and not in bed!!

Thanks!
+++

are they swollen due to water retention? funny as it sounds, if this is the cause, try to drink more water, as the more fluids you drink the less chances of your body retining water. sounds weird i know, but mum used to suffer from it a lot before, and it's what her GP told her to do!

Rosebay, hope these tips help you:

sit downand elevate your legs higher than 90 degrees or lie on your left side or on your back supported by a cushion so that your backis tilted 10 degrees or more.

wear comfortable shoes

aviod socks or stockings with elasticated tops

if really bad try wearing support tights (avaliable in pregnancy fittings with extra tummy room) and put them on in the morning when the swelling is less

dont add sal to any food and check the salt contant of prepard foods

and drink plenty of water to flush the body of waste products

Hi,

thanks guys you're the best! I'm going to try the drinking as much as you can option (though I am already drinking LOADS!) (water of course!) and will try and get those legs higher than 90 degrees! My husband helpfully said last night that I need one of those comtraptions you get in a hospital when you have a broken leg in traction!

+++

Hiya

Another tip to add is slightly raise the bottom of your bed so your feet are slightly higher than the rest of your body. You will be amazed how much they go down in the night.

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back