tip for avoiding vaginal tearing

Becs

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Have heard this twice now from 2 different sources so thought I would share. Apparently if you rub oil into your undercarriage especially in the last trimester every day, it helps to loosen and prepare the skin for stretching. Using your thumb and forefinger, massage it into the back wall of and opening of your vagina and the skin around it especially towards the anus. My sister in law did this throughout her 2 pregnancies and hasn't torn yet. I also read it in a book that hubby bought me.

I am going to start my daily routine soon using baby oil. My sister in law used olive oil - yuk!!

Anyone else heard this?

Becs xx

ive heard of it aint it called a perinal massage??
i will be doing it or getting hubby to :)
manda xx

ive been told to use almond oil by 2 midwives.dunno whether it works or not.i think the position you deliver in has a bearing on the matter as well

Have heard of it yes.. not to sure about the baby oil tho could that not give you an infection? with all the perfume etc? x

Oooo, sounds like I need to get some almond oil then. I assumed baby oil would be okay as have used it during um, sessions with hubb involving that area before :oops:

Becs said:
Oooo, sounds like I need to get some almond oil then. I assumed baby oil would be okay as have used it during um, sessions with hubb involving that area before :oops:

lol i think everyone has done that :)
you can by special cream for doing it bot sure how much it is though mothercare should stock it :)
manda xx

I read almond oil with a drop of rose oil ;)

It was in a pregnancy magazine this month

Right, so are you lot all at it already? When were you going to share this little gem with me??? :shakehead:

Nope - it says in the magazine to start from 38 weeks.

Hope this helps:

What it is
Perineal massage is a way of preparing the tissues of the perineum, between the vagina and the anus, for the stretching that is necessary during childbirth. During birth, the perineal tissues need to stretch a good deal to allow your baby to pass through the birthing canal and if the tissue doesn't stretch enough then it can tear. Slight tearing during birth is quite common, but to prevent substantial tearing midwives or doctors quite often cut into the tissue to give the baby room, a procedure known as an episiotomy.

The aim of perineal massage is to 'train' the perineal tissues to stretch and so help to avoid both tearing and episiotomies, as well as reducing the stinging sensation you experience when your baby crowns. Perineal massage is most effective if practised every day for the last six weeks of pregnancy, so from around week 34, and for between five and ten minutes at a time.

How do you do it?
"Well, sounds great!" You might be thinking, tell me how to do this massage stuff and I'll get cracking. This is where the 'fun' starts, so prepare yourself mentally for sticking your thumbs inside your vagina. Sorry? Yes, I'm afraid that's right, in order to effectively massage your perineal tissues you'll need to be ready to get stuck in there. Advanced students of perineal massage may prefer to get their partners to massage the perineum as an opportunity to share intimacy and involve their other half in childbirth preparations, or even as part of foreplay. But if you'd prefer to ensconce yourself in privacy with a mirror you certainly won't be alone.

You'll need a warm, comfortable environment and privacy, obviously. To massage use a natural massage oil like sweet almond oil, jojoba, coconut butter, wheatgerm or olive oil or a water-based lubricant like KY Jelly. Don't use any petroleum-based products for perineal massage. If you're doing the massage yourself you'll need a mirror, at least for the first few times while you familiarise yourself with the perineal area. A hand-held mirror will be more trouble than it's worth, a large mirror will be easiest.

1. Whoever is giving the massage should trim their thumbnails or finger nails and scrub their hands and nails.
2. Sitting with your legs spread comfortably apart, massage a little oil into the outside of the perineum and on your fingers and thumbs
3. Insert your thumbs about half a thumb length into your vaginal canal, and apply pressure to the perineum, the area between the vagina and anus. If your partner is doing the massage they should use their index fingers. You should stretch the perineum until you feel a slight stinging sensation. When you feel that sensation hold the stretch for about a minute
4. Circle your thumbs to massage the oil into the tissues down to the base of the vagina, gently pulling the tissues forward and back
5. Now apply pressure against the sides of the vagina, moving thumbs in a 'u' shape up from the part of the vagina closest to the anus. Again, you should stretch enough to feel a slight stinging sensation, without inflicting pain on yourself. Gently pull the tissues of the sides of the vagina downwards in imitation of how your baby's head will pull on the tissue during birth. Do this about half-way up the sides of the vagina and don't pull, rub, stretch or put pressure on the urethra at the top

Remember that the massage should be gentle and not abrasive or vigorous. Initially you probably won't be able to stretch the tissues very far before the stinging sensation kicks in, but the point of the massage is that with repetition you'll be able to stretch more and more.

To make sure you do the massage every day it helps if you build it into your daily routine. Some women may find that a bath before-hand helps to relax them ready for the massage, others may find the massage itself relaxing, particularly as they become more adept at it. And if the intimacy of perineal massage gets you and your partner in the mood for love then why the hell not!

And don't forget
To make the most of perineal massage team it with your regular Kegel exercises to increase tone and control of your pelvic floor muscles. If you have good control of your pelvic floor muscles then consciously relax them as you perform the massage.

perimas.gif

others may find the massage itself relaxing, particularly as they become more adept at it.

He he, I reckon I am already going to be pretty good at this :wink:

eeeww, I hate touching that area, can still feel the scar from where I tore having James! :shock:
Might give it ago this time though, didn't do any massage last time

I was told about this in my hypnobirthing class. She suggested olive oil :shock: and told us not to do it before 35 weeks as it could stimulate labour.
We are going to try, although the thought abhors me.

She really recommended getting into a polar bear position for about 10-20 minutes every day during the third tri too and resting on the left side to encourage baby into the right position...that helps reduce tearing too. (apparently :shock: )

OMG!

I am so glad that pic didn't come up when I checked the site at school :lol:

Sorry Ladies, I did perineal massage with both my pregnancies and I still tore quite badly :( didnt work for me. AND the Midwife at delivery helped ease the head out properly to reduce tearing!

My only advice is have a small baby! my daughter was little and I didnt tear with her, but i did with DS but i had a episotomy and fuck that hurt.

I had a second degree tear with my first despite using perineal massage. He was delivered back to back though so I believe that doesn't help

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back