Time off for treatment? Any ideas? UK

MrsRogers

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of IVF with icsi (well got to loose abit of weight first!) but I can't find anything in work policies and procedures about paid or even unpaid time off for things like egg collection and when the eggs are implanted, I'd rather not discuss it with my manager until I get the go ahead from the clinic, as I know some managers can be abit funny about it, basically that's all I'm a bit worried about as I have no holidays left so can't use them and obviously I would rather not just ring in sick! I work nights so the odd shift here and there won't be that bad but I know I need time off for them two anyways, I'm not sure how long though?
I was basically wondering if anyone could shed abit of light on this? Or have the slightest clue?
I'd also rather not tell the manager till its past the safe 12 weeks if I can help it as gossip spreads like wild fire especially good news lol and I'd rather not risk it!

Thank you in advance

Hi honey

When I had the IUIs I used it as annual leave but I went off with depression soon after and swore I wouldn't use it as holiday again! We had a break and in October or so work introduced a new absence policy - nowhere was IVF mentioned (cosmetic surgery was though, lol). It was very strict and I got really upset. My direct manager is male and all I had told him was that I was going to have a lot of hospital appointments and procedures coming up. When I got upset, I ended up telling a female manager everything. She subsequently told my direct manager, on my say-so. Everyone was very empathetic.

We arranged a meeting with HR who had to have a meeting themselves to establish exactly what to record it as, and they need to know for others going forward anyway. They decided to let me have time off for any appointments and I would not need to make up that time (now I just tell them I have an appointment and no questions are asked). When I need to have a full day off (I was very ill after egg retrieval, for example), it is recorded as pregnancy leave.

I'd recommend you contact HR as they may have something in place or be able to sort something out for you.

Katie xx

I would maybe speak to HR?
When I was working in the NHS they had a guideline for IVF/adoption leave with 5 days special leave allowed but u had to tell your manager it also helped them knowing with the scans before the cycle & having time, plus the whole process can take it out of you & needed them to know & understand for support, if the medications were affectiong me or anything & I also didn't want to have to do any heavy lifting after transfer X

Yes defo speak to your HR dept. my work has a fertility policy allowing time off for treatment etc also allowing us to do alternative duties etc. it can help telling a manager as you will need a lot of time off for scans etc, either that or get yourself signed off for something to cover whole cycle maybe x

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a HR advisor - time off for fertility treatment falls under discretionary special leave so your employer isn't legally obligated to give you the time off although some companies do. Check your Leave policy to see if it says anything, if not you will need to check with your HR department. Once you know the rough dates and whether you'll be working you could tell work you're having a medical procedure if they don't give the time as special leave so you avoid ringing in sick. Slightly concerned that you feel your manager might tell other colleagues your confidential information!

I've attached a link below you might find useful xx

http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5457

Hi, I'm a HR advisor - time off for fertility treatment falls under discretionary special leave so your employer isn't legally obligated to give you the time off although some companies do. Check your Leave policy to see if it says anything, if not you will need to check with your HR department. Once you know the rough dates and whether you'll be working you could tell work you're having a medical procedure if they don't give the time as special leave so you avoid ringing in sick. Slightly concerned that you feel your manager might tell other colleagues your confidential information!

My manager appeared to be everyone's friend all nice & lovely but was a terrible gossip & gave everyone in my team all the juicy details! Not just stuff about me too, we could all compare notes on what she would say about the other! The conversation would usually start with "between you & me, don't say anything but...."!! Glad I left!

My manager appeared to be everyone's friend all nice & lovely but was a terrible gossip & gave everyone in my team all the juicy details! Not just stuff about me too, we could all compare notes on what she would say about the other! The conversation would usually start with "between you & me, don't say anything but...."!! Glad I left!

Sounds like you're best off out of it! x

Sounds like you're best off out of it! x

Yes I'm so glad I left lol. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back