Time between birth and going back to work

Discussion in 'Home Life & Finances' started by Kimbo, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Kimbo

Kimbo Well-Known Member

Leahs due at the end of this month so will be going on income support as i have left college and also left the part time job i had, so no maternit pay etc.

i'll be claiming as a single parent, so i know that's income support and child benefit, is that it?

i'll be living at home so no claiming rent or anything..

i don't want to stay on income support, as i want to go back to work as soon as possible.

i know that when i start work i will obviously lose income support, and i will be working 16 hours a week so i know i will get working tax credit aswell... but does that mean i lose child benefit if i go back to work?

i'm really confused!

i don't even want to go on income support but i know i have no choice for the first couple of months before i go back to work, because then i'll be entitled to the sure start grant.

can anyone help?

thanks

2. mary70

mary70 Well-Known Member

no hun everyone gets family allowence and you should be entitled to working family tax and child tax credits

3. Kimbo

Kimbo Well-Known Member

family tax even though i'm single?

4. lulu

lulu Well-Known Member

yes, if you are single and and go to work you will get working and child tax credit, although it does go on how many hours you do.

The money saving expert website or entitledto website is great for finding out what you will be entitled to!

Everyone gets family credit of £18 a week for the 1st child.

Also, have you checked whether you will get maternity allowance as you are not entitled to maternity pay?