Those with dogs

Babylicious

Reaction score
just wondered whats happening with your dog when u go into labour, I've got no one who can look after ours and not sure I want the worry/hassle of her here when I'm in labour and first day of being home?

We are sending mine to my parents. They are used to having them and the dogs love going there, so they will have them for a week or so.

Can you not arrange for a friend to have your dog for a night or two? Or someone to come let it out for you a few times? Is there no one at all who can help?

Worse comes to worse, arrange a dog sitter or put them into a local kennel for a few days. Yes it will cost, but we choose to have pets so if need be we have to be prepared to foot the odd bill if we want to go away or we don't want them around for whateve reason. Its not our pets fault, its just how it is, and I like to try to make sure I do whats best by them aswell :)

If my parents were not having ours, I'd leave them at home and hubby would nip back to let them out and walk them, and if we were away overnight they'd be fine for 8 hours. I'd also ask a friend to maybe come stay if I felt they needed it.

I don't want to exclude our pets and would be happy if they stayed here, once I am home with baby but my parents offered and are happy to have them, so its ok. Hubby is great with my menagerie and happily takes on board walking, feeding and cleaning if I cannot. He'll be seeing to the chickens for a week or two once Baby is here.

If you don't have anyone that can do it for you, maybe look for a local petsitting/dogwalking firm? They generally don't cost too much, especially if it's just for a week or so until your wee one is born and you've settled back in at home.

They should be pretty understanding if you can give them a rough estimate of when your baby's due and you'd be able to find out whether or not they'd be able to come round at short notice if you're early/late in going into labour.

Babylicious said:
I don't like the idea of someone being in my house though :oops:

Then go look at some boarding kennels :) Plenty of decent ones around you could pop doggie into for a few days when the time comes. I'm sure they would be flexible regarding dates if they understand your situation, and not mind too much about an exact date. Some places do book up ages in advance so its worth looking into asap, esp if its holiday time for schools etc around the time you are due.

The home from home places are usually lovely, but no idea if there are any round your way.

We have asked the MIL to look after our dog while i'm in labour, she doesn't live far from us at all so can pop round to let her out and feed her.

When we come home with the baby I want Tia to be here, it's going to be a big change for her aswel as us so she needs to be involved from the start.

Don't know what i'd do if I were in your shoes though hun! Hope you get a solution soon, good luck!

thing is she's a 11 month old border collie puppy who's extremely highly strung :shock:

Babylicious said:
thing is she's a 11 month old border collie puppy who's extremely highly strung :shock:

Heh most Border collies are :roll: They are still such working dogs in the breeding, and need constant action and input. All the working ones I've seen (used to farm, seen lots) seem far more 'normal' than those Borders kept as pets, simply because they are active so much and working hard doing what they are bred for. Also most farmers won't have a neurotic dog working for them anyways. They breed carefully from lines and pups are worked in over a year or two.

I'd seriously look to kennelling her for a week or so then. She may not be too happy about it, but chances are, if she is as you say, highly strung, then it'd be the best thing for her. She can then be slowly introduced to new baby and routine when you are feeling more up to it :)

I loved our dog being around when I was labouring, he was very comforting, stroking him :) I also felt he had to be home when I came home, as he's part of the family and didn;t want him to feel pushed out. Yes I know he;s a dog but he is part of our family too. Luckily we have a neighbour who will watch him if we need, and he's also not a puppy, and very well trained, so I can understand the issue you have :hug:

I think kennels is a great idea, though I would also suggest taking a nappy and clothes your newborn's worn, and introducing them to puppy before you bring puppy home. Also play some baby crying sounds now, to get him used to the noise, as the change and upheavel will be a lot for him, so making it as easy as possible for him, will help you too. Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

mypetstop® offers luxury dog kennels in Leeds, Manchester and Tyne and Wear, I would recommend them, although their website doesn;t seem to be working and I don't know if that's near you :hug:

Thanks girls. Those kennels are way too far for us I'm afraid. We have one nearby that we use so I'm going to give them a call this week :)

Good luck, hope they are not too expensive for you!

It is a worry having a dog and bringing a new baby home, our dog is a two year old Bullmastiff so i'm a bit nervous about the whole thing! She is well behaved but still gets very excitable and because she is so big.... well you know :?

I think i'm going to get hubby to bring a babygrow home from the hospital before we come home so she can pick up the baby's smell, i've been playing a tape of me when I was a baby so she gets used to the sounds and i'm going to start brnging the bouncy chair and moses basket downstairs so she can get used to seeing them! Hopefully we will be ok!

im a bit worried about how ill cope too , she's as soft as lights but very boustarous (spl?) and id like to be able to concentrate on babe and being a mum as im a bit nervous im gonna be rubbish lol

i built the swing the other day and played the tunes , she had no idea what to make of it !

already started to put baby gates up so she gets use to them and doesnt connect them with baby

i might ask mum to have her for a week or so , i do want her there from the start , she's a huge peice of our lives but she loves being at mums anyway ( mum has like 15 dogs lol its like a holiday for her ! ) and i cant help think id like to be settled before coping with dog and baby !

that the same as Harley she's constantly on the go and she likes to chew :oops: she's very big as well and is constantly charging around (we do have a crate but I wouldn't like her to be shut in it all the time)

I'm worried about this too. I hate leaving Barney for long periods of time and I hate leaving others to look after him. If I end up in hospital for a long time and Matt can't get back, we will be leaving a key with my sister who will be able to go in and feed him and let him out in the garden etc. He will be fine, I'm sure but he's been my main priority for 9 years and I'm going to miss him like mad when i am away from him. I'm trying not to think about it LOL

you see with harley being the breed she is she needstwo walks a day, she refuses to go in the garden :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back