Those hospital tests-anyone else not had them done?

bagpuss

Reaction score
:) Hello all!

I was just wondering if any of you were unable to have all those different tests that you can have done at different stages of your pregnancy to check that baby is fine and healthy because of how far into your pregnancy you were when you actually found out you were pregnant.(Sorry if this doesn't make sense,I keep reading it and it doesn't sound right!)

I found out I was pregnant when I was already 18 weeks gone,my 1st scan will be when I am around 22-23 weeks,and my midwife says I will be too late for the tests.

As this is my first pregnancy,it is something more for me to worry about,so I thought that I'd ask for a bit of advice.

Or did any of you refuse the tests??Please share your experiences!
Bagpuss :)

I would have thought at 18 weeks it may still have been possible to have the blood tests? But the 20 week scan is to check for abnormalities anyway so they will cover all that the only thing you wont now know is if you are high risk for downs or spina bifida, but again they can look for spina bifida on the scan.

Even if you arent high risk you could still have a downs baby so it would depend on how you felt about that to whether the tests were important to you. I had the blood tests and am not a high risk but even if I was I wouldnt have had the amnio done as there is a risk of miscarriage and by that point I wouldnt have cared either way as I felt very attached to this little one by that stage

hi i had no tests apart from my 20 week scan which i had at 22 weeks

:) Thanks for the replies - that's something else I can feel a little better about!
I think that with me it is a "fear of the unknown" - I'm all at sixes and sevens at the moment, and as much as I try and focus on all the good things,I can't help but think of the worst.That's why I'm so glad I found this forum and all you very helpful mums and mums to be.
Bagpuss :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back