this should be in health but can anyone help ?

rhian85

Reaction score
i have been suffering from sever regular migraines....have tried many thing s from gp for them including beta blockers but still getting them with a vengance.

today i was prescribed AMITRIPTYLINE 10mg tablets but after reading the leaflet thingy it says they are used to treat depression PND...... :shock:

WTF???? what have i been given ? are these really for ,migraine ? to scared to take them ? is there anybody on here who is on/has been on these for migraine if so can u help me ? are they good/safe ? they sound addicitive ?

sorry iv no knowlege of them but i'd check with ur doc- he couldve mis-typed it or was maybe of thinking of something else with a similar-sounding name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitriptyline

If you read the approved uses bit it says about them being for migraine.

I've been prescribed them before and I can't for the life of me remember what for. I was precribed antidepressants which I never took, and I was precribed something for vertigo - beta blockers.. I remember they were small red tablets in a white box with a red line on it. I had quite a few of those. I can't for the life of me remember which one is Amitriptyline tho :doh: I'll keep working on it.

:( It seems amitriptyline were the antidepressants. I've found a box of my beta blockers and they are called propanolol. They prescribed me the amitriptyline when I was diagnosed clinically depressed a few years back.

Sorry chick..

Even though it says they can be taken for migraines, I'd rebook an appointment just to be sure he gave you the right tablets. There's no harm in a bit of reassurance.

Sorry to clog your thread...!

I don't have my amitriptyline box anymore I threw it away but I'm pretty sure my dosage was higher than 10mg. Maybe the higher the dose the more it's for depression?

Sorry... I blabber on and on...

amitriptyline is mainly for depression but also has uses for migrane which is recurrent, that may be triggered by stress, lifestyle (lack of sleep etc.) or chemical triggers (alcohol, pill).
hope that helps hun xxx feel better

I was on 10mg amitriptyline for sleeping (or rather not sleeping)

Have you tried imigran nasal spray? I used to get prescribed that

the dose of amitriptylline used for headaches is much smaller than that used to treat depression. It just happens to be a handy drug that has lots of uses at different doses. :)

I once had Amitriptyline as I had depression after I lost my Mum. It was evil stuff. I think I was on 50mg at night and then up to 100mg. When I took it I felt like I was drunk. I had to have 6 weeks off work whilst on it as it just made me unable to function. Needless to say I took myself off it as it scared me too much and I didn't want to become dependent on it.

I'm sure a small dose for migraines would be fine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back