This may be a silly question...

LauraMummyToBe

Reaction score
But is anyone still smoking or struggling to quit?
Is your baby okay?

I've cut down a lot and I keep thinking the worst, but I am having so much trouble quitting completely. :(

Any advice?
Anyone else having the same issue but everything is fine?

Thank you. Xx

I don't but somebody posted about this earlier. I used to smoke but packed in about 7 years ago it was hard but the best thing ever. I didn't use any supplements but maybe talking to your doctor might advise you what to use. Hope you get there and it's good you're consciously making an effort x

Speak to your midwife i smoked before my BFP but just stopped straightaway as soon as i found out, my midwife did ask how i was coping, and said if i struggle let her no as theres help, so maybe do that, luckily i just stopped, still have me
Moments where i could just have a fag, but noway would i, i plan to never smoke again now ive stopped! X

As bad as it sounds my midwife is an absolute joke! I have rang about 10 times enquiring about help to stop but they never call me back when they say they will, they haven't even told me about appointments I asked them to set up with the stop smoking sessions, so technically I've missed them all as they've not informed me of them! As for my doctors, pregnant or not it is unbelievably hard to get a bloody appt. I have tried everything, I can't go 'cold turkey' as I heard it will cause stress for the baby and that could be really dangerous for baby as they also have withdrawl symptoms. :/ I am just gonna have to buy one of the nicorette things. But I tried those a long time before I found out I was pregnant and I ended up smoking after 3 months of being away from them. :( I am at a dead end... Literally! Xx

Im the same as Nat, i stopped straight away but tbh i only smoked about 5 a day previous to being pregnant so prob why i found it easier! Also i had a mc last pregnancy so i was adamant not to risk anything this time. Everyone will have a different experience or opinion on it. I do get the odd time when i really want one but know i wont for the babies sake. My hubby quit too and uses those sprays which have really helped him to quit. Try not to worry too much and atleast u r bothered and seeking advice! Some ladies just dont care xxx

Believe me I care, I feel so bad doing it but I can't stop. :(

It's like taking away alcohol from an alcoholic.
Or drugs from an addict.
They'd go mad!... So would I without my cigarettes.

I suppose it could be seen as "healthier" as I'm smoking tobacco and not factory made cigarettes, but it still isn't the point. :/ xx

Well u have cut down which is a start! U could go to the chemist maybe? My chemist offer a stop smoking sessions and provide u with help and advice along with substitutes for cigs! Maybe read all the facts on how it affects the baby just to put u off a little bit more to help u avoid it? Honestly im saying all this to genuinely give advice as i know its hard to change ur habbits but try not to stress too much over it xx

That's actually not a half bad idea, I'll try scaring myself and see if that edges me to do it. X

I stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant also I thought I'd m/c at 8 weeks and had a couple of cigarettes then when I found out baby was ok I felt so guilty I cried there are days especially when my anxiety gets really bad that I really want one but I manage not to because of the baby as one of the ladies said at least you care and you are trying to get help some really just don't care x

What about those e ciggerattes someone did a thread on them on here the other day? X

Oh Hun, I understand how hard it is. I struggled with smoking throughout my first pregnancy but never managed to quit fully (I'm not condoning it but my baby was/is 100% healthy). I finally managed to quit about 5 months ago and I have no idea what I did differently, I think it was just the right time for me.
You're doing a great thing by cutting down, every cigarette you don't smoke is a little victory. Some people find it a lot harder to quit than others but just keeping trying and keep asking for help and you'll get there in your own time xxx

Right hunni, i'm in the same boat i'm down to about 2 a day. I did manage to stop at some point but somethings happened in a row that I started again. What helped me first time is a book called 'How to quit smoking, it really helps, they even have one desgined for women, its by allan carr not the famous one either. I got my book for 50p off amazon. I am in the process or rereading it to help me. And it works on those last few. it depends on how quick you read on how quick you will quit.
I know numerous people that have read it and its worked. But will point out it doesnt work for everyone. Your local library might be able get it in for you, or order it from another one. If anything I know waterstones has it in.
My partner read it and that was 2 years ago...he cant stand the smell of them now let alone going near them. And the brilliant thing is...it also helps you not to replace them with something else. Try hunni. And good luck. x x x

I stopped 18 months ago with the pills from the doctor (smoking nurse) can't remember their name, Zyban maybe? Best thing ever, the only thing that worked! Patches etc were useless. Not sure if u could take them whilst pregnant but it worked for me x

I used to smoke but don't now. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much people were still smoking and drinking back in the day but the more you can cut down the better. Good luck xxx

Hi I was struggling and bought an E Cig, it's honestly great I've cut down now to around 2 roll ups a day.... nicotine is no worse than caffeine it's the other toxins in the smoke that are bad for baby... I honestly say give it a go and maybe use the self help book at the same time only thing with the book is it takes a while to read e cigs cut out the bad toxins from day one... you can get so many different flavour vapours too and I feel so much better about myself for doing it xx

I'm still smoking myself, cut down a lot from 15 a day to 5 a day and I'm still struggling but I've bought a vapour cig which is really good, it still contains nicotine but hasn't got all the crap that a cigarette has which has helped a lot. Xx

If I can stop, anyone can!

I was smoking over 25 a day, had my bfp and went straight onto nicorette mini lozenges. Had two cigarettes after finding out and only used the lozenges for a week. It's completely mind over matter. Yes, I struggled. Yes, it's hard. Yes I could probably pick up a cigarette right now but I haven't in over ten weeks.

Just think of your beautiful tiny baby!

I gave up as soon as I got my BFP, I can honestly say I didn't struggle at all. I just could not bring myself to smoke while pregnant (it did help that pregnancy totally changed the taste and effect of cigarettes for me - they just made me feel ill!).

I would definitely recommend the e-cigs, I have a lot of friends who have successfully quit while using them. If your midwife is of no help, then go to your doctors - there are lots of services available for anyone who wants to quit. There are also a lot of websites with lots of helpful advice - just google 'giving up smoking'.

Believe me I care, I feel so bad doing it but I can't stop. :(

It's like taking away alcohol from an alcoholic.
Or drugs from an addict.
They'd go mad!... So would I without my cigarettes.

I suppose it could be seen as "healthier" as I'm smoking tobacco and not factory made cigarettes, but it still isn't the point. :/ xx

Okay, just so you know my background. Smoker since I was 13, since around age 18 have been smoking betwen 20 - 30 a day. Mostly used nicotine replacememt during my first pregnancy although did probably smoke around 5 a week but it was a struggle. I did not have that trigger of 'Oh, baby inside = I can;t even think about smoking' So, I am not judging in any way shape or form!

I stopped smoking in October using a book! Alan Carr's easy way to stop smoking.

It uses a mix of common sense and NLP (neuro linguistic programming) to help you to see why it is not hard / difficult / painful to stop.

It is not like taking away drugs or alcohol - the main difference there is the physical withdrawal. The physical withdrawal from nicotine is actually very mild and last for less than 24 hours. What has caught you is the panic of not smoking, the bits in your brain that has been telling you to smoke, that it tastes okay that it doesn;t stink that it calms you down, stops you being stressed. This is all lies and as soon as you get out of the nicotine trap (which you wont do if you don;t realise you are in it) you suddenly don;t even want to smoke anymore.

A friend of mine at work went on about the book for a year before I read it, just to shut him up initially, but after reading it I didn;t smoke anymoe - mental!

Also, and this is REALLY important! Smoking tobbacco is FAR more harmful than factory made ciggarrettes. They are stronger and the filters are far less effective meaning the bits which affect the baby like the carbon monoxide is even more increased then if you were to smoke proper ciggarrettes.

I'm with Lulubelle - I smoked 20+ a day for 17 years, started when I was 15 years old and I tried everything to give up the only that worked was the Allan Carr Book. After reading that last January I've not touched a smoke since the best thing is I don't miss it and don't feel like I've given anything up.

If anybody wants to give it a go, I'd be happy to let them have my copy of the book - PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back