This is so embarrassing but...

SpinSugar

Reaction score
I've just discovered we have fleas :-(

Bloody cats :-(

I wondered why my feet have been so itchy.

So instead of doing everything else I needed to I'm now rewashing every bit of fabric that's not been shut away in drawers (ie ALL of babys stuff as I had it laid on the bed to sort today!) And deep hoovering the flat, which is killing my back. Why does this kinda thing always happen when hubbys away!

I feel like such a skank :-\

Got cats booked for Monday for treatment and getting the flat sprayed early next week (one of my besties is a pest control consultant!)

She said it takes about 2 weeks for them all to die out so baby is def not allowed to arrive for a few weeks. Don't want him arriving to a house full of fleas and insecticide!!!

yuk.

Xx

Aww don't be embarrassed, if you have cats or dogs, even if you flea treat them regularly it's inevitable that you'll get fleas at some point :-( especially with the hot weather.

Our cats got them last year and the buggers took ages to die (the fleas, not cats lol) because the first flea treatment didnt work. We tried something else and they disappeared quite quickly and touch wood they haven't been back since.

I felt the same as you though, was hoovering like a mad woman for ages and sprayed the whole house. My vet assured me though that they don't pose a health risk to us at all, apart from maybe giving us itchy bites and making us feel yucky!

Xxx

Don't be embarrassed! Our cats got fleas 2 years ago and we had to get the house sorted. It was a right pain but we got some different treatment from the vets as the stuff we were using wasn't working and we got a spray for the house too. This heat is perfect for them apparently x

Awww don't be embarrassed it happens to all people who have pets :) I'd be more gutted I had to do all the washing again haha first line is great for fleas, expensive but does the trick x

Not good! Happens to all of us at some point. We are lucky to have wooden floors all downstairs so dont get any on carpets etc..

Id be cleaning everything again too if I found them now. Id be fuming as I walked into the babys room the other day to find the cat on the play mat which was in the cot! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Thank you all, you've made me feel much better. I've deep vacuumed the flat, its taken me hours and my back hurts so much now! But hopefully it will help. I'm keeping the cats outside as much as possible!

I was tempted to go get some frontline from Asda tonight but reading online, the stuff from the vets is much better so I think Ill wait till Monday and get them treated there.

Also, I don't know if I should be treating them while Pg and I don't think I will be able to do it on my own anyway!

Ill keep the cats confined to the kitchen overnight and Hoover tomorro too!

Xx

We had a flea problem in our last house. Didn't realise until it was really bad. We were about to move too so when the house was empty we fumigated the entire place so that NOTHING could survive (or so we thought). Got a text from my ex landlord a few weeks later (she's also a very good friend, luckily) telling me her sisters (the new tenants) baby was being eaten by fleas. I was mortified, paid £50 for the professionals to go in and no problems since, luckily!!!!

I'd recommend that once you get the problem under control, keep the flea treatment going. We have a package with our vet where we pay about £10 per month per animal to get them flea'd, wormed and vaccinated to the agreed schedule.

Frontline failed us (its what we'd used when we got the problem) even though it was from the vets, so now we use either Advantage or Advocate, both I can recommend!

Oh, and them being outdoors, the little flea bags can pick them up by lying in the same place, the fleas will have survived well in this weather.

Another favoured thing to do is sit and comb them (nit combs are usually better than flea combs) if you can, and drown/squish the fleas with your nail. I find it therapeutic if nothing else! (And gizmo rather enjoys the attention of being combed!!)

Don't feel too bad though, fleas are so embarrassing to have as a problem, but we've all been there!!

Xx

Frontline failed us too when they last had them, we had to use advocate although the frontline always worked in the past xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back