There is hope out there 1st timesters!!

I have just eaten my first proper meal without feeling sick! Tuna (which I hate), pasta (which I cant noramaly eat) and ketchup!! it was bloody gorgeous, I dont feel sick and I feel so full up and happy!!!

Just wanted to share that with you!! :lol: Not relevant at all but I'm happy so I thought I'de let ya know you can eat sometimes and there is hope of nausea going! Even if only for a while!

That's so weird, I normally like tuna and pasta and the other day they made me sick (most things do at the moment!)
I find that I feel sick all the time but it doesnt put me off food, it's only after I've eaten that I realise I shouldn't have had it and I'm sick without any warning ((yuk!!))

My doctor told me not to eat tuna due to the mercury it may contain. Have you been told different? Tuna is one of my favourite foods!

I was told you can have one small can of it a week

i've seen conflicting advice on tuna, some places it says 2 cans a week others say 4 even! my gp gave me some leaflets and it says 2-3 cans a week (it didn't say what size cans!!) so i'm sticking to that. think people can get a little hysterical about these things, so i'm listening to my own common sense! they never had so many rules about what not to eat before - i know my mum didn't particularly avoid a lot of things when she was pregnant with me and my sister - and babies still came out healthy!!

What thats silly - no tuna? :shock: So why do we get told about eating lots of fish for potein? Oh I dunno - I eat what I fancy right now - I know raw eggs, soft cheese and peanuts arent good but im not gonna get well fussy. If I need to eat it to fill me up then I'll eat it!! I get so confused with doctors and health proffesional conflicting ideas that I kind of just go with the flow realy and avoid the really bad things.

I have not heard of tuna at all, no one has ever mentioned that to me! Fish is good for protein, and I know someone who ate tuna all the way through her pregnancy!!! so I wouldnt get too paranoid about things, just be a bit more careful.

Peanuts are really only a big prob if there are allergies in your family, but they say it could increase your baby's risk of getting the allergy. Soft cheese is fine if it is pasturised, only cheese like stilton or brie should be avoided!

Good luck
Natalie x :D

The thing with fish is it really depends where it comes from. For example, Australian Tasmanian Salmon has got almost no mercury, and the Tuna from Port Lincoln in South Aus. has extremely low levels also. I think it's worth just limiting yourself if you can't find out the levels. Different countries and states have different regulations in regards to reporting these things yeah, so it makes it hard.

Mercury is a heavy metal. It's in sea water because of industrial pollution, so fish absorb it. It is never flushed from the body, so sea creatures that live a long time, like tuna, shark, whales etc get a higher concentration of it in their flesh as the get bigger. Shark - very popular in Australia - can only be sold if it is below a certain size because of this.

Mercury in high enough levels causes terrible birth defects. This is not a wild guess, this was learnt from what happened in the fishing village of Minimata in the 1950s. The levels in the water and fish there were very high - causing brain damage in animals and people but most shocking was what happened to children exposed in uterus.
http://cafdes2004.free.fr/photos/smith_minimata.jpg

Tuna is safe - but only up to a certain exposure. Mix up your diet, try other tinned fish, fresh water and ocean fish as well as meat, beans, soya etc etc. Everything in moderation is the key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back