The Scratch - how painful is it?

Syd43

Reaction score
As the title says really, subject to how the planning meeting goes tomorrow I'm due to have the scratch next week. I've read a few horror stories, is it really painful?

Hi Syd just wanted to say lots and lots of luck for today hopefully this is the start of your rainbow baby xxxx

Thank you so much Clementine. We're just sat in the waiting room at the clinic now.

How are you doing?

I've had the scratch twice and it's just like bad period cramps. I've got a tilted uterus so the worst part for me is getting the catheter/tube in, the actual scratch hasnt been as bad. They advise you to take some painkillers about an hour beforehand. Good luck hon! Are you having it done at Oxford? That's where I've had both of mine 🙂 X

Thanks, good to know. I also have a tilted uterus :) Yes, at Oxford, just been today for the planning appointment. Had a couple of dodgy moments when they realised I only have time for short protocol plus I've recently been in a country with Zika but all good now. They were very nice. Injections seem complicated but assuming all will become clear.

From your signature it looks like you'll be starting your next round soon too?

Glad your appointment all went well and ok for Zika. The scratch really doesn't take long, it's the same procedure as the transfer really. Yes they are lovely there 🙂

Yes will be cycling in January too. We did 3 fresh cycles and a frozen at Oxford under the NHS but used them all up now, so we've gone to Serum in Athens 🙂 I'm doing a natural or supported natural cycle, so similar timings to a short protocol. Expecting next AF on 17th Jan, so will be around the same sort of time as you x

I've heard amazing things about Serum. Here's hoping 2017 gets off to a great start for both of us.

Is the pup in your profile pic yours? S/He is gorgeous.

Definitely what a fab way to start the new year that would be 😀

Thank you, yes he's mine - A Whippet called Gunner. He's almost a year and a half now but I don't want to change my pic as he's really cute. He's my little dog baby, follows me everywhere and gives lovely cuddles. He's a bit of a live wire crazy dog though 😬 Have 2 retired greyhounds too. What about you? Have you got any fur/feather babies?

I've got two, a terrior cross that's a right character and a lab cross that follows me around all the time, both rescues. I adore them but haven't taken them with me to Hong Kong (moved out there in the summer) as I know they would hate it so a lady looks after them in her home whilst I'm away and I come home every two months and spend a 2-3 weeks with them. It's expensive and complicated but there's no way I'm giving them up.

I love greyhounds and whippets :)

I've had times when they've had trouble getting the catheter in and other times it's been fine (I also have a tilted uterus). Blueflower told me to take painkillers (co-codamol I think) the first time so I did. The doctor couldn't believe how ok I was - she said she's had ladies screaming on the table before!

I've had it 3 times in total, last time was a biopsy too and I didn't bother with pain relief. Some doctors count down the seconds when they do the scratch (first didn't) which helps as you can just kind of grit your teeth and focus on your breathing. It is a bit painful for those few seconds, I'm not going to lie! The cramping after is ok, like AF but I've never needed pain relief. My work are really good so I have the afternoon off to recover. Hope this helps and it goes smoothly. Xxx

Thanks Phonix. Generally I've got a fairly high pain threshold but I am nervous about this.

I would be the same Syd. That's a good way of doing it, they have 2 lovely families to look after and spoil them. We've thought lots about moving to Dubai or Portugal but they just wouldn't be good in the heat ☹️️

Merry Christmas ��

Last edited:
Take the painkillers beforehand and you'll be fine. It's just a few seconds and the usual cramps. I understand your apprehension though. I still get a bit nervous about some things even when I know what to expect.

Louielly, the heat is a one of the many reasons I know they would hate it, they don't even like the British summer!

Thanks Phonix. As you say, it was quite uncomfortable but over quickly, feel hugely relieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back