The big "Organic" debate....

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Now we are starting to wean is it important that everything is organic?

xxxxxx

Last edited:
It's not important to me at all. As long as they're getting plenty of fresh fruit and veg, and it's washed and prepared properly, then that's all that matters to me. I try to use local/British produce, and I only buy free range eggs for myself, but that's it.

Last edited:
I've just been doing some reading and it's made me think a lot about what I buy.

What I read does say not everyone can afford to buy everything organic but to prioritise. So for example eggs, milk and meat should be organic where possible.

I can't afford to spend even more on food shopping??? I only have a few months before I am not earning at all (months 9 -12 of mat leave!!) BUT I want to give James the best start I can and offer him the best foods.

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I try to buy organic meat but for fruit and veg i dont think its that important. I read an article sonewhere that retained levels of pesticides vary a lot; foe example bananas would be minimal so not much point buying organic.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Tbh I dont think it's that important. I was reading something the other day that was saying that waitrose is now the only supermarket that's truly organic for meat, ad the others are now feeding their organic animals on foods that may be GM! Something to do with a shortage of non organic crops or something! And also, due to wind, the spores can travel in the air, so things get "contaminated". I don't buy organic really unless it's the cheaper option, bar eggs. Basically, just go for the best you can afford, as long as they get a good variety it doesn't matter if it's organic IMO!

I don't personally buy organic, but I know there is a list of the twelve "dirty dozen" fruit and veg out there which is the 12 fruits/veggies most likely to have high levels of pesticides used. If you give it a google I'm sure you'll find it xx

I don't buy organic. I do however try to buy fruit and veg when in season.

I've just sown my first carrot seeds so maybe the girls will be eating home grown food soon! (I'm not hopeful as I'm no gardener! )

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

I couldn't afford to buy organic! I was helping wit h a bag pack at Morrisons the other week and this one guy had everything organic, his trolley was only half full and his bill came to £137! I get a full trolley of shopping with non organic food for half that! x

everything she has eaten has been organic! I make sure all her veggies and fruit are organic, and we are just starting meat this week and i bought her organic chicken.

the only things she has had that have not been organic were avocado (cause I couldnt find any organic ones), milk and philadelphia. And rusks I guess.

Once her eating is more established and she starts eating what we are eating then hardly anything will be organic.

but as what she eats is such small amounts, then I had might aswell make sure its the best she is eating

I am at the supermarkets all the time so I think I am going to do some price comparisons and see how it works out?

At the moment we're just throwing things on the floor so I won't go organic just yet :lol: :lol:

xxxxxxx

Just milk for us, but I do try and buy from farm shops/locally where possible and if I ate meat, that would be organic as well.

No Free range meat is far more imprtant to me than if its organic and i cant afford that so just the eggs are free range in my house. Im not a big beliver in all the Organic thing because we all have eaten normal fruit and veg for the last what 100 years and are all *touch wood* fine... with all the car fumes about now it feels a bit pointless. I live in the country so im hoping that the lack of city car fumes will help her anyway.

One time i eat organic and free range is when my dad goes shooting- nowt more natural than game more people should look into making it a regular meat tbh. People who have told me its crewl i say your chicken dinner was kept in darkness with no room for 16 week, its beak cut off so it couldnt fight and then its neck rung in a machine that sometimes doesnt work first time my rabbit stew was born, lived running in a field until it was an adult then yes it was shot but it wasnt put through that first and could live and breed.

I eat chicken btw just an example xx

I had a spare half an hour (OH took bub out for a bit just after I started this thread) so I did a quick price check on the Sainsbury's website.

Based on what I would normally buy (grocery wise) it works out £9.70 more expensive to go totally organic.

Some things weren't hugely different.. Organic humous and rice cakes for example were only 10p more expensive. Other things like carrots were the same price but you got 250g more in the non organic bag.

Biggest differences were:
Broccoli - loose head 81p. prewrapped Organic £2.00 = £1.09
Mincemeat - normal 500g pack £3.00. Organic £4.00 = £1.00
Apples - bag of red £1.70. Organic £2.50 = 80p
Red Leicester cheese - normal £1.70. Organic £2.50 = 70p
Lemons - budget range 87p. Organic £1.50 = 63p
Passata - normal 79p. Organic 1.39 = 60p (the organic was 750g though where as the normal was 500g)
Cauliflower - loose £1.40. Organic £2.00 = 60p

It all begins to add up - 4pt of milk was 50p more expensive, 6 eggs were 40p more. 2 organic chicken breasts were 58p dearer.

'Twas quite an eye opening exercise actually!

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
You would think if its healthier for us the goverment would make it affordable x

Buying organic never crossed my mind but I buy meat and veg local, my butcher can tell me exactly which farm meat has come from and quite often does.

I once went on an "organic diet"

I ended up in hospital for a week with a severe stomach infection

Now I'm not saying that the organic food was definitely the culprit - but it was enough of a coincidence for me to give it up.

What I would say is that organic food definitely tastes better. If you shop around (mysupermarket) you can do it on a budget.

I don't think its all that important to be honest, as long as Aaron is getting lots of nutritious food then we are happy

From what I've read it's better to buy local produce (organic or not if it's flown in from Thailand like the organic sweetcorn we had yesterday it's likely to contain 'extras' to keep in fresher for longer)

I think I am just going to be mindful of what I buy and check where it's from.

I think I'll go to organic eggs and meat when James is having that and when he is old enough for cows milk I'll also get the organic version.

We have quite a few farmers markets locally so I really must go along.

xxxxxxxxx

I don't buy organic. Unless its cheaper...!
I do get my meat, fish and chicken from a local butcher. And I go to a small fruit and veg man in town for my vegetables. Sometimes I pick up from supermarket if I don't get into town.

I don't really see the fuss over organic, it's just overpriced xx

I was reading up about this and it turns out even organic produce isn't totally pesticide free, there is a list of pesticides they can use and still use the term organic.

With meat as well there is a percentage of food the animals can be given that is non-organic (up to about 20%). It was interesting reading actually. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back