The bag

Lyn_no3

Reaction score
After looking at sarah's post about hospital bags i was wondering Is anyone else struggling with how much stuff they recommend you take into hospital with you, i'm taking the bare minimum but still look like i'm off on holiday for a fortnight, can't even get my dressing gown in the bag :!:
What size bags have everyone else got :?: are they huge or has everyone vacuum packed theres :?: :!: lol
i don't know why but i'm feeling really self concious about the size of my bag... hmm maybe i should ask hubby sure he could relate...lol :wink:

Also, is anyone packing anything to keep them amused. They say you should pack things to while away the time, but surely if you are in that sort of sort, you probably don't fancy scrabble ?? :!: :?: :twisted:

How about for the other half as well? I think my OH will be too stressed out and nervous to read a Top Gear magazine.

What do you think?

hey. well im taking a big gym bag for me and bubs changing bag is full of his stuff.
im taking my sisters portable dvd player for hubby and me incase my labour is slow but not much point in taking anything else because if my labour doesnt go right (which is the only time i think id need amusing or have to wait around) then i have to go to a different hospital because im having a water birth at a midwife led unit and there are no consultants. so if something doesnt go right i have to be transfered to darlington hospital which means hubby can swing by home and get me some more things! lol
my bag is pretty full but all thats in there is towels toiletries slippers aarons shirts (as nighties!) birth plan and not much else!

Funny to see this post this morning as today I typed up my hospital bag list! I wont pack it till right at the end, but at least this way, I can keep it pinned to the fridge and if I go into labour, OH can just run around and grab everything for me and stuff it in bags. Also I am taking two bags. One small one to take into the delivery suite with me to get me through labour as space can be a little restricted I dont want a massive bag getting inthe way. normally once the baby is born they let you and OH stay there for 2-3 hours, then you are moved onto a bed on the maternity ward when your hospital stay can be between 6 hours to 10 days. Basically when ever you feel ready to leave. what I will doat this point is when I go onto the ward I will get my OH to get my hospital stay bag (with everything else in) out of the car. this should be enough to do me the rest of the day. If for any reason I need to stay longer in hospital OH can always bring me in fresh supplys.

My lists are a follows:

Bag for labour
Nightie
Bottle of drink
Snacks
Face spritz/water spray
CD's
1 pair disposable knickers
1 maternity pad
1 new born nappy
Bath towel
Swim shorts for OH
Digital camera

Bag for Hospital
Nightie
Maternity bra
Dressing gown
Slippers
Breast pads
Maternity pads
Disposable knickers
Bath towel
Shower gel
Flannel
Moisturiser
Tooth brush/toothpaste
Hairbrush/ties/grips
2 baby grows
2 nappies
Baby hat
Blanket/shawl
Comfortable clothes to go home in
2 carrier bags for messy/soiled clothes
Munchies and a couple of magazines

I know it has been 12 years since I was in hospital having my daughter, and obviously things have changed, but some of the things in your bag Cat did make me wonder.....

Bag for labour:
Try a mans shirt instead of a Nightie, just as comfie, but easier to undo if you get hot
Drink and snacks - I was only allow to suck on ice-cubes for the whole 25.5 hours, no food at all.
Disposable knickers - I just don't get these. Do you really want to russle when you walk!! :oops: My advise would be to go to the local Bewise or similar (wearing headscarf and sunglasses as disguise) and buy loads of pairs of cheap big pants. much more comfie and you can still throw them away - unless the OH takes a liking to you in them!! :wink: Also, the disposable ones don't fit, and make it really difficult to keep a maternity pad in the right place! :oops:
1 maternity pad - hospital supplied my first one until i got to the ward
1 nappy - again, hospital took my daughter away to weigh and clean her and brought her back with a nappy on

Bag for Hospital
Take more than one Nightie as you will definitely need it if you insist on the disposable knickers!! :oops:
Maternity Bra - quite difficult to buy before you start to breastfeed as your size will fluctuate dramatically in the first few weeks.
Disposable Knickers - I think I may have already covered these :!:
Hairbrush/Ties/Grips - personally if your hair is long enough to need these, I would pack them in your labour bag. If you get hot, you will need your hair tied back.
2 baby grows and 2 nappies - have you ever seem the first poo a newborn does?!?! i would definitely take more that this. :lol:

One more thing I found to be a godsend was a thick pair of bedsocks in my labour bag. I had an epidural, couldn'd feel anything until it got to my ankles, but my feet were freezing!!!

Blimey, I've really just critisised your whole bag, and you were so well planned!! I didn't mean to be picky, but thought that some of my past experiences might help you.

xxx

Just a couple of things I found invaluable

Make up - I don't normally wear any, but it really made me feel alive again, just basics like mascara, cream and lipstick

Disposable pants - completely agree with tankett - they're a complete pain. Awkward to put on, uncomfortable, scratchy, noisy arghhhh!! The good thing is though you can rip them off when you get messy - see maternity pads.

Nappies / baby grows - take loads. 12 nappies per day, 3 baby grows. First poos are gross, and will leak from even the best nappy

Maternity pads - get the biggest / thickest you can find. Don't bother with the thin ultra absorbant ones, they'll leak. The amount of blood you lose after a baby is unbelievable, and it tends to flood if you've been laid down.

Nightie - don't take pyjamas. If you do happen to leak in the night, it's embarrassing. Likewise, don't wear your dressing gown in bed.

Day clothes - If you're staying for a couple of days, take some day clothes, or extra nighties to put on during the day. Most maternity units are kept very warm, and it feels much better getting into fresh clothes after a shower

Snacks - I wasn't allowed to eat during labour either but with the last one, I was taken up to the ward at 11pm and there was no food available at that time. I'd not eaten for more than 24 hours and really wished I'd packed some sandwiches or something. If it looks like being a night time delivery, send OH out for something while the shops are still open.

Rubber ring to sit on - the ones you use for swimming. Mum brought one in for me after a tear and episiotomy with my first - big relief!!

Salt - a salty bath works wonders on sore bits after labour.

Spare change - this is something I've forgotten every time, and I always want to phone somebody to ask them to bring something at visiting.

Magazines / things to do - I've never needed them before the birth, but being in the ward is boring, especially if baby is asleep and you can't sleep because you're all worked up and excited.

Teach OH how to use the washing machine before you go in. It's much easier sending him home with soiled clothes and getting him to bring clean stuff in than packing it all. I ended up with a two week stay after Callum, OH didn't know how to use the washer, and the clothes he brought back in for me were still caked in powder he'd put that much in.

Tracy xx

LOL im the same, got a huge holdall type sports bag, looks like im going for a month!!! must say im gona feel a bit daft going in with such a big bag!!!!

That's fantastic advice Tracy / Tankett. I'll have to re-read this thread in a few weeks when I'm packing my bag.

My friend who had a baby about a year ago agreed with you both on the maternity pants by the way - she said get yourself down to the cheapest shop you can find and buy a load of big pants - they are more comfortable and you can still throw them away!

Good idea re. salt and things to do as well!

Great advice here! I'm gonna print this thread off nearer the time and pack what you all say.

You often read lists of things to take, but not always the real story from real mums who have actually been there for real and experienced the disposable knicks and the pads.

I am so glad the Dh found this site for me, it helps me every single day.

Sorry, reason about packed is so small is cause I only intend to be in the hospital for 6 hours after the birth, Im I decide to stay longer I will get OH to fetch extra supplies.

The Food stuff for the labour is also for OH not me, as just cause I wont have an appitite, I dont what OH to fall apart with starvation, when I need him!

same here cat... if all goes well then im allowed home after 6 hours because im goin to a midwife unit rather than a hospital ward. my friend has been told shes got to stay in three days!! poor soul xx

Don't forget to get HUBBY to pack the bag. He'll be the one rumaging to get stuff out all the time, not you.

I showed my hubby where everything was in my bag, then STILL had to point out where everything was when we needed it. I didn't mind at first but straight after giving birth he couldn't find the nappy and I was like "I TOLD YOU IT'S IN THAT POCKET!!"

I'm taking magazines, snacks, CD's, moisturiser/lipbalm as well as all the basics.
Last time I bought a cheap nightie, but it was kind of rough, uncomfortable material. The main thing I looked for in a nightie was that it opened at the front, ready for feeding and skin to skin contact. This time I'll be looking for comfort as well as those things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back