That wonderful thing called....... Heartburn

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by Louise123, May 30, 2013.

1. Louise123

Louise123 Well-Known Member

Hello ladies :)

Has anyone got anything they do that gets rid of heartburn?? I think I've tried everything but alot of the over the counter stuff makes me gip but I've tried milk milkshakes mints ect which work for like 5 secs :( I had it bad at start then it faded but when I reached 28 weeks it's back and iam at 31 weeks now so still got a while yet and its worse then ever and it's keeping me up most of the night is there any thing else I could try open to try anything lol

2. lauralou

lauralou Well-Known Member

my dr gave me ranitidine and that helped but stopped after about 2 weeks, so they put me on omeprazole and that works perfectly. x

3. Louise123

Can anyone have that or do I need to check with my doc/midwife first? x

4. Heres Hoping

Heres Hoping Well-Known Member

Ive been given ranitidine by doc which is helping. if i forget to take it i soon know about it so must be doing something right! Oh & gallons of milk ;) x

5. lauralou

yeah go see your doctor about it, u cant just buy it off the shelf. but its safe to use during pregnancy and really does help. I was almost in tears with pain, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't move without it coming up, had really bad reflux too and its all pretty much gone now. I feel a bit burpy sometimes but id much rather that than the acid and heartburn! x

6. Heres Hoping

Heres Hoping Well-Known Member

I was same lauralou, used to feel the acid come up my throat..rotten! I think its a god send...hope it keeps it away! x

7. Louise123

Awww thankyou I will get booked in, people don't seem to realise unless your pregnant just how bad it is lol god I'd rather that too x

8. lauralou

oh god its so bad. I can honestly say its the worst thing about being pregnant. It made me hate every minute of it, and was ruining my pregnancy. now I feel totally different, its amazing how much it can affect u. I couldn't drink tea, or any hot drink, hot food also set it off. butter brought it on, crisps and chocolate were an absolute no no, fruit made it worse, fruit juice - wow don't even go there. torture, actual torture!!!!! get to the drs and get some magic tablets :) x

9. Louise123

Yeah I will phone up Tomo :) , oh and look bedtime and it starts lol the joys xx

10. Clarebear77

Clarebear77 Well-Known Member

My doctor gave me mattlox I now call it liquid gold because it was a god send lol

11. glowing

glowing Well-Known Member

Using Gaviscon advance at the moment (my new best friend). You can buy ranitadine over the counter but only in 25mg tabs and normal dose is 75mg twice a day. Omeprazole will be a GP prescription.

#11 glowing, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  12. Louise123

Booked in doctors Monday :) just bought gaviscon to put me on over weekend it's disgusting :( how much at one time are you allowed when pregnant?

13. lauralou

i just swigged it from the bottle every half hour? don't think theres a strict guide but just don't drink the whole lot in one go. a large bottle used to last me a week tho lol x

14. amanda maxwell

amanda maxwell Well-Known Member

I think I go through a large pack of rennie's a week!! its bloody awful tho and makes me feel sick. ive got rennie's in the car, the kitchen, the bedroom and in my bag lol, i get into a panic if I cant see any to hand haha they seem to help but im sure u could get something else from the doc xxx

15. positivity :)

positivity :) Well-Known Member

Any ladies suffering go to ur docs and get what Laura has (can't remember spelling) it makes ur life happy again lol! X

16. mummywanabe

mummywanabe Well-Known Member

Suffered so bad with HB last night :-( cant wait til its gone