thank god for ultrasounds!

hope

Reaction score
Hiya. had a bad nightmare about my baby last night. And i did not feel him kicking today either. Well, i work in this department in the medical school here & my office has an ultrasound machine. :wink: So I just scanned myself!!!!!!

i am not yet great enough with the machine to get my whole baby on the screen but I did see his bum, his ribs & his legs which promptly went kick kick!! Whew what a relief!! :D

So I say thank God for ultrasounds!!!!!!!!!!

Im a Happy woman NOW!

I know! I had a similar experience at about 20 week where I hadn;t felt any movement for a day or two and it freaked me out completely. The dr sent me for a quick scan and there she was, playing with her toes, heart beating away!

How did women cope before ultrasound! I'd have been a nervous wreck!

Congratulations on all being okay :D

God you lucky thing having a machine handy for use! Think I would send myself barmy though scanning every day to watch it's growth at the moment!! LOL :lol:

you're quite right, I am going mental scanning myself whenever!!!
I saw his face today, and it brought tears to my eyes!!
Meanwhile Ive been trying to find articles about long term effects of frequent scanning, hoping it would dissuade me from using the machine AGAIN!! Cant say ive found anything concrete. does anyone know if there r any?

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ ... wagner.asp
Once again it is interesting to look at what happened with the issue of safety of X-rays during pregnancy. X-rays were used on pregnant women for almost fifty years and assumed to be safe. In 1937, a standard textbook on antenatal care stated: "It has been frequently asked whether there is any danger to the life of the child by the passage of X- rays through it; it can be said at once there is none if the examination is carried out by a competent radiologist or radiographer." A later edition of the same textbook stated: "It is now known that the unrestricted use of X-rays through the fetus caused childhood cancer." This story illustrates the danger of assuming safety. In this regard, a statement from a 1978 textbook is relevant: "One of the great virtues of diagnostic ultrasound has been its apparent safety. At present energy levels, diagnostic ultrasound appears to be without injurious effect . . . all the available evidence suggests that it is a very safe modality."
So it could be 50 years before we find out that U/S isn't entirely safe. Under those circumstances, I wouldn't over-expose a baby to it. A baby exposed to a lot of radiation from "recreational" x-rays would have almost have got cancer, but it takes a study of a whole population to find this out.

With pregnancy, as with life: everything in moderation.

joan

thnaks joan, that should keep me off the machine!!!

Hope

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back