testing for diabetes

Blueclass

Reaction score
I'm 21 weeks fri and got a letter today saying I need to be tested for diabetes in march when il be 28 weeks. This is my first so not sure on what happens and when. Is this normal for that time frame?
Thanks x

Mine is a week today ill be 26 weeks. My appointment is at 8:55 and I have to fast from midnight. Xx

Never even knew about that one! Yeesh.. another thing to look forward to...

OK thanks mines from 10pm. Says I need at least 10 portions of carbohydrates for 3 days prior to the test seems alot!! I knew I'd have it but I thought it was a bit later on but as a newbie iv no idea x

Oh mine says nothing about carbs. Just to only drink water, they'll take bloods, then give me a sugary drink, wait 2 hours and have bloods again then get results a week later. Xx

Lucky you! I wonder why they do it differently? X

Mine is next week at 27 weeks.

Three appointments over two hours for bloods. Yippee!

The drink is rank lol A thick, stupidly sweet orange flavour syrup. You guta drink the lot in one go! They just test to see if your body produces insulin properly in the pregnancy.
You'll have a blood test just before and another a couple of hours after.

If you're high risk it's completely normal for 28 weeks. Nothing to worry about really :) xXx

I had mine at 25 then 35 weeks last time but this time just once on Tuesday. It's fine, just s fasting blood test. Mind I was never told anything about carbs.

It's the Glucose Tolerance Test but not everybody has it - only if you have a BMI over 30 or a family history of diabetes.

I had it last time and it was fine and I have it again in 4 weeks when I'm 28 weeks. Basically they take your blood, make you drink a Lucozade type drink, sit in the waiting room for 2 hours then take your blood again. They compare the two tests to measure how your body dealt with the sugar in the drink to see whether there are signs of gestational diabetes.

That's how they do it in my area and whilst it's a bit boring, it's fine! xx

I had mine a few weeks ago, we get s bottle of lucozade to drink then wait 2 hours.
My letter said I had to eat normally for the 3 days prior to it xx

Hope they don't give me actual luxozade - on allergic to it

I'm going for this test next Thursday when I will be 28+1. I didn't have the test in my last pregnancy but as this is a twin pregnancy I'm classed as high risk.
I've not received any letters or paperwork at all for the appointment as I was in the scan dept when they made the appointment for me. I was told not to eat or drink (not even water) from midnight the night before the test xx

Very odd I can drink water and I don't mind lucozade x

That's crazy! I would ring and recheck! You can't be expected to go 12 hours without hydration

Mine is 14th of march. Had it done on DD too. Bloods, lucozade, and more bloods. This time I have anti natal ch ck the same day so I will be hopefully kept busy for the couple of hours :)

I'm hoping it will be ok I always get worried about these things x

That's crazy! I would ring and recheck! You can't be expected to go 12 hours without hydration

I did think this at the time! Deffo going to call midwife and double check, surely water will be allowed!xx

I think I'll have to forgo my rennies though. My magical, magical rennies lol

I can't have them tried for the first time the other day and they made me really sick! I'm on love hearts now believe it or not they work. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back