Teaching DS to read?

Melily24

Reaction score
Hi. My son turned 4 in May and has started Grade 1. Lately he has been showing interest in the words in the stories I read him, asking what they are etc.. Also if he sees words on signs etc.. he wants to know what it says.
I would like to start introducing him to reading. How do I go about this?
thanks. xxx

does he know letters? if not then start teaching him letters first - phonics style (as in how the letter sounds) A for apple etc.....our school uses a technique called Jolly phonics. As soon as he knows and recognises letters and their sounds - start to sound out some simple words - C A T = cat etc.....then once he can recognise a few words ask him to find them in a book. Follow with your finger over the words you are reading so he can hear what they sound like while he is seeing what they look like. Start with very simple books - you can buy read at home books at different levels.

Hi. By phonics style, do you mean I just say B is for Belly? Or do I go Buh is for Belly? Thanks!

I just found a 'jolly phonics' song on youtube, will take it from there ;-) I'm so excited! :)

Like buh is for belly. It is a really exciting thing to do. My son started reading when he was nearly four, I found the songbird books really brilliant for them. They're written by the person who writes the gruffalo etc. They do very simple words and alot of repetition and slowly builds up. Gave my son loads of confidence, and the pictures are lovely.

Oh Just seen you posted this a while ago, how is he getting on? x

Hi, I decided to leave it for abit as there was alot going on, but want to pick it up now. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Biff Chip and Kipper Books are also good ones! My son is in Reception and they have a reading book each weekend. It comes with a list of things for parents to do with they children while reading (I can post it on here if u want?)

We used to play Jolly Phonics in the car and sing along. He used to love it and it always had him join in in the car! (at home he was to distracted!)

My son is 4 and we have always read to him and since starting school in Sept he seems to ve doing really well. We got magnetic letters to help spell words to get him used to seeing common words
We spell words out now by breaking them down. We began with recognising letters and got a lot of wipe clean books from tkmaxx and found them brilliant for getting him to recognise letters and ypu tube has some fab phonics songs

We started son reading on his fave baby books that he had outgrown but still remembered like that's not my monster etc. First he read the repatitive bits and that built up his confidence then he tried the harder bits then he moved in to other books like biff chip and kipper and puddle lane he's at the top of his class one of 3 on the highest book band but we gave always given him reading time for 20 mins after we put him to bed. It's his treat snd gets more or less depending on behaviour. Now he reads superhero books lol.

We are just starting learning my daughter. If you google phonics frames they are good (we use them in school). Start with words with three sounds; satpin are the 6 sounds to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back