tax credits ???

Gem & Leland

Reaction score
ok , this is a person question so if u dont want to reply thats fine ! but after speaking to some mums at my postnatel group it seems i get a really low amount , just wondered how it varies on here ! ?

my hubby is on 23k per year
this year i will earn 2800 ( all mat allowance from april to oct)

we only get £80 a month , and this goes down to £40 in january when he turns one :eek:

its just be renewed so its got to be right ! but im just curious ?! we dont qualify for working tax either so am i right in thking i cant claim childcare back as this is part of working tax credits ? ( not that his in child care but might do later)

like i said , u dont have to answer but when i know one of the girls in the group , works , has a partner and her baby is now 19 months old and she gets £300 a month !!!!

When i first got it my OH wasn't working, so we got £145 a week for working and child tax combined. But since he got a job a month ago my working tax has gone down to 93pence a week! I get my usual child tax though. He'll have earned 9k for this tax year and i'll have earned 6k! It's pathetic really!

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure hun, I'm a single mum, so I get quite a lot, plus I get working tax credits and 75% of Mhairi's Childcare.

Have you tried http://entitledto.com/

I haven't filled it in yet, as I'm too lazy to go get all my payslips! :rotfl:

Also, do you have a Financial Fitness team in your area? We have one up here and they are a charity that sit you down and go through every benefit with you and make sure you are getting what you are owed!

we earnt 55k between us LAST tax yr and we receive £60 pm.

Gem & Leland said:
its just be renewed so its got to be right ! but im just curious ?! we dont qualify for working tax either so am i right in thking i cant claim childcare back as this is part of working tax credits ? ( not that his in child care but might do later)
Hi Gem,

I don't get Working Tax Credit (WTC) either, but AM entitled to WTC Childcare Element when I start putting DD in childcare in a couple of weeks. They can do estimates on how much you'll get on the phone for you if you phone the TC helpline, but they can't tell you for definite and you CAN'T claim until you start the childcare on day 1.

So you don't have to be receiving WTC to be entitled to WTC Childcare Element, its worthwhile phoning them with all your figures and going through it with them.

Re. Child Tax Credit (CTC), yes, the £42 per month (instead of £85) is rubbish after 1!

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
you CAN'T claim until you start the childcare on day 1.

Valentine Xxx

Just to let you know Valentine......I phoned exactly one week before Mhairi started in nursery and they took all the details. I got a "top-up" payment in 10 days later and my letter through detailing my payments two weeks after Mhairi started.

Might help you a bit, and bring the whole thing forward a week for you! :D

last year we (as a household, me and OH) earned 62k, so origionally I claimed on that amount, as that was our earnings last year, and they were going to give us about 40quid a month.

I called them up and told them that this year ALL i was earning was SMP, and you get to take £100 off each months earnings that you are on SMP meaning that THIS tax year i'll earn like - £1400 so our household income will be about £34,000 this tax year. I just got the new thing through, and we are going to get £87 per month. This is ONLY child tax credit. I dont know how low your income has to be to get working tax credit!!! I dont know how anyone earning less than us could afford a mortgage, food, bills, cars etc etc. I dont know why the government dont help those that help themselves... but throw money at people who pop over here on boats!!!

Me and OH last year our income combined came to about £32000 so based on that we are receiving just the basic child tax credit.

Obviously now i am on maternity our income is very low. I am confused by all this tax credit stuff. Do i need to ring them and tell them our income is down due to me on maternity or will i have to wait till next year as they have worked it all out based on the previous years earnings.

charlie84 said:
Me and OH last year our income combined came to about £32000 so based on that we are receiving just the basic child tax credit.

Obviously now i am on maternity our income is very low. I am confused by all this tax credit stuff. Do i need to ring them and tell them our income is down due to me on maternity or will i have to wait till next year as they have worked it all out based on the previous years earnings.

You ring and tell them. Thats what they told me to do when I've worked out how much I'll earn for the year.

We claimed £37,000ish last year, and get £20 a month from them. We won't qualify for help with childcare.

I got told that we won't get more this year while I'm on SMP, even though it's a massive loss.

I don't get this whole tax credit thing. :?

Do they want the info for what you will earn for this TAX year or this year?

Tax Year.

I just sent off our forms (I hope they backdate it :? ) and put last years (April 07/April 08) on there. Then I have to phone them as this year with me not working it makes us eligble for WTC.

I still don't really know what we will get- will just have to wait and see :think:

I'm still waiting to hear if they'll backdate mine. Angel was born in April but i wasn't paid til June. I'm gonna query my WTC as i don't think we're getting enough.

DONE :)

Because i didnt actually claim until this tax year i didnt have to do the renewal but i told them my change in earnings and hopefully should get a bit more, they going to send the update out

HertsMummy said:
last year we (as a household, me and OH) earned 62k....

THIS tax year i'll earn like - £1400 so our household income will be about £34,000 this tax year. I just got the new thing through, and we are going to get £87 per month. I dont know how anyone earning less than us could afford a mortgage, food, bills, cars etc etc. I dont know why the government dont help those that help themselves... but throw money at people who pop over here on boats!!!

My household combined income is around £25k and I have worked full-time since I was of age. We privately rent our house because of the whole credit thing and nobody lending to first time buyers at the moment but my rent is on the same level as many of my families' mortgages. We afford the rent, food, bills etc through cutting back and being sensible with our money.

I just think it's funny how somebody who's household income is 62k can be complaining about not getting help. Surely you could cut back on the type of car you drive or don't live in a house with the mortgage exceeding your limits leaving you with no cash left over to live comfortably (I've assumed an awful lot here and I realise this might not be true but it's just an example).

I do, however, agree with you in the sense that the government should help those who try to help themselves, while I don't target "people coming over on boats" I target those you see who don't work and live rent free, council tax free, claiming allsorts of benefits and are at home 24 hours a day 7 days a week with their child while honest, hardworking people like ourselves will return to work full time when of course we would rather be at home with our child.

Why should we have to cut back on our house and cars for a start? We've worked our backsides off to get the best of what we could afford THEN. Things change. Were affording our house and cars comfortably at the min but even if we wernt we could nt sell the house, no one buying, wouldnt get a great deal for our cars etc,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back