Tantrums.. She's actually bruising herself!! :(

pringle88

Reaction score
I don't know what to do! :( Ella has always had a bad temper and loses it very easily.. If I say no to something she will throw herself on the floor kicking and screaming which I know isn't completely abnormal for her age.

But, what I'm worried about is the harm she's causing herself. Yesterday she stood and head butted the corner of the wall over and over again. She now has a lump on one side of her head and 4 bruises and a patch of blood shot skin.

Obviously when she does it I move her away and try my best to calm her down but it's like once she's in that mindset nothing stops her and its as if she doesn't feel any pain.

Does anybody have any advice to stop her or calm her down once she's doing it? I get so upset when I see her hurting herself :(

X

Mummy to Ella 18/11/11
Baby number 2 due 17th Dec 2013

XhugsX what do you do when she's having the tantrums? at that age a lot of it is them realizing a certain behaviour gains attention, so if she knows you react to her hurting herself the likelihood is she will do it more.
When we have incidents at work like this we tend to ignore, leave them for 1min, come back check on them, move them away from whatever they're injuring themselves on the leave again etc etc until they are calm, but we have a :time out: room which is completely child proof & has a monitor so we can see what their up to.
if possible as hard as it is unless she is seriously injuring herself its best to ignore.

!
xx
Using tapatalk can't see tickers

I try and move out of her sight but so I can still see her, I go and move her to the middle of the room so she can't hurt herself but she will just head butt whatever is in sight whether that's the wall, the floor or me!

It's so frustrating I just feel like such a failure because it feels like I'm struggling to control my own child :( xx

Mummy to Ella 18/11/11

Don't feel like a failure at all, toddlers are hard work especially when your pregnant as well!! Is it just you she acts up for or everyone?
She's probably just about old enough to understand a simple rewards system, focussing on the good behaviour along with ignoring the bad quite often works..
simple things like giving her a star on a chart when she does things without a fuss, mealtimes etc.. whatever her usual triggers are for tantrums if you can integrate those in a way that gets her a reward when she does them properly without tantrums may work?!
might be worth a chat with your HV they deal with this sort of thing alot and might have more useful tips than me. Mine at work are 2&1/2 up so most of what we do wont be suitable.
x
The last resort in our environment is 'team teach' restraint. But she's far to little to be physically restraining!

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

Thanks so much Hun! Ill give it a go, she says yes and no an understands the meaning for both and it's if she understands what she's doing if that makes sense. When she has calmed down its only me she wants and she will just sit and cuddle me and then she is fine.

I might have to give the HV a ring and see what they suggest.

Thankyou so much for your reply though xxxx

Mummy to Ella 18/11/11

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back