Taking a tumble/fall

Discussion in 'Forum Friends' started by bobtheunfortunateone, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bobtheunfortunateone

bobtheunfortunateone Well-Known Member

Hi, I have just fallen down in a shop, I missed the bottom step but managed to fall on my knees, my belly is fine and I have no sign that anything is wrong (Only my knee) Should I worry or should I just count my blessings? I sure my body will tell me if anything is wrong, surely? Any comments appriciated!

Thanks

Cat & Baby Bean

2. Tiny Sue

Tiny Sue Well-Known Member

Hey bob....
    You poor thing, I'd hate that. I nearly fell off a stool at work today, just caught myself in time. Luckily, I haven't ever fallen, but I read an account of a woman who had a car accident while in early pregnancy. The doctor told her not to be worried when she felt okay, because the foetus is well cushioned in the amniotic fluid. Only a crushing injury would have harmed the baby.

I also remember my mother taking a bad fall when she was heavily pregnant with my brother. I was about three or so and we were going to the shops. It was winter and Mom slipped on the icy pavement and fell very heavily on her backside. I remember her getting up, and bringing me back home, where she proceeded to cry for half the morning. It made a big impression on me, but my mother had a perfectly healthy baby a month or so later. I think it was the fact that she cried that made me remember it so clearly.

Hope this helps. Get your knee looked at... :D

Sue

3. Guest

I think as long as u didn't hit bump you should be okie but if you are worried I would see GP even if it is just to reassure you . That's what they are there for.

4. Lisa J

Lisa J Well-Known Member

hello ladies
    I had a fall down the stairs when i was about 13 weeks and it scared the crap out of me!!! but hey as you can tell all was ok, i went to the doctors and she listened to the heartbeat! there is so much protection for the little one that its very rare they will be effected by a fall.
    it still makes you worry though!!

xxxxxxxxxx

5. hearts81

hearts81 Well-Known Member

Hi
    Since I found out I was pregnant I have suddenly became the clumsiest person in the world. I have fallen down the stairs at least 4 times and I've even fell over a few times just walking along especially when I'm walking the dog by myself! Each time has scared me and I have sometimes spent hours laying perfectly still waiting to feel a reassuring movement. I've reported a couple of the incidents to my doctor but she was more concerned about me and my bruises than the baby. She said baby is well protected in its bubble and its unlikely a tumble down the stairs will do it much harm.

6. Sarah W Baby Belly

Sarah W Baby Belly Well-Known Member

HI

You poor thing. i am terrified of falling over.

If it reassures you, a lady I work with said that when her mum was eight months pregnant with her she fell over flat on her face (and bump) and everything was still OK.

Obviously that sort of fall isn't recommended but she seemed to get away with it. It seems our babies are a lot tougher than we think.

Hope this helps

7. -Cat-

-Cat- Well-Known Member

Try not to worry, I know it does really shake you up. a couple of weeks ago I lost my footing and fell into a trench that had been dug in the garden, I just twisted my ankle badly and couldnt even get up for about 5 mins and it really shock me up, the risk is more to yourself than the baby as your ligaments etc are more prone to strain and injury. Unless your fall has given you any stomach or abdominal pains, or saused you to bleed then dont worry, bubd in its own built in airbag!

8. bobtheunfortunateone

bobtheunfortunateone Well-Known Member

Thankyou all for your comments, feel better, had a little cry last night (boo hoo I going to be a bad mother) My hubby reasured me that I would be a good mum and that my balance might be off with carrying the extra weight! knee just feels achey,

God I'm going to hate snow and pregnancy! I will have to stay at home!!! But still not as bad as my mother in law - she went down a slide when she was 7 months pregnant with her eldest kid and went straight off the end off the slide with him on her lap, then they had to call a helicopter because she lived miles away from any special baby hospitals! tut tut, my hubby is now a six foot 5 chubber, but he was very lucky that the nurses looked after him, his mum told them to turn the machines off because she didn't like to see him like that!

THERE IS HOPE FOR US ALL!!!!

*rubs knee, and belly*