Taking a bottle in for labour

Discussion in 'Feeding & Nutrition' started by Olive, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Olive

Olive Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

I'm being induced tomorrow and hoping to bf, but know these things don't always go to plan.

Did you all bring a bottle in and formula just incase? I think the hospital provides formula. I can bring a bottle but it won't be sterilised, unless the hospital do it for you?

I'm clueless!

Thanks xxx

2. Minchin

Minchin Well-Known Member

hi there, good luck and how exciting!! I'm 99% sure they give you them, and the forumula too, little glass ones with screw on teats type thing i think. someone else with confirm I hope!!!

good luck hon and baby will be here so very soon :) xxx

3. Olive

Olive Well-Known Member

Thanks so much. xx

4. MrsR

MrsR Well-Known Member

It can depend on your hospital but my hospital do give you little glass bottles of ready made formula and single teats xxx

5. Sarah13

Sarah13 Well-Known Member

Good luck, how exciting! I didn't take anything in as most places will provide it for you if there are any problems breast feeding, they won't let your baby go hungry x

6. ft90

ft90 Well-Known Member

Hey,

Check with the hospital, my one didn't provide anything but the sterilised bottles for you. I took a bottle and carton of formula in with me, but only BFed in hospital, so didn't use them. So glad I had all the stuff in though because on day 5 I had to start giving top ups!

So I think it's a good idea! And good luck for the induction! Soooo exciting!! xxx

7. pinkyprincess

pinkyprincess Well-Known Member

My hospital provided them BUT when I came Out of my section I was asked and I said bottle feed (because i was so exhausted!) and I was left with nothing and a starving rooting baby so I ended up just putting him on my boob and he was ok thankfully! Wasn't happy tho but he's been feeding well on the boob since so am now!

8. clairebear22

clairebear22 Well-Known Member

I didn't because I planned on BFing but it didn't work out. Lucky our hospital has shops on the ground floor including a chemist so OH bought a 4oz bottle and some ready made cartons for Jack. He was also offered a couple of their glass bottles because he had alot of trouble feeding. Check with the hospital to see if they provide anything x

9. Maria1977

Maria1977 Well-Known Member

I didn't take anything as just assumed BFing would be easy lmao anyways... the hospital I was in provided everything. they even had breast pumps.

10. jojo_2012

jojo_2012 Well-Known Member

I know it's a bit late to mention. But an empty sterilised bottle with the lid on will stay sterilised until someone puts something in it. So if you sterilise some first and put the lid etc on them, pack it with some cartons of milk, you're good to go whenever.