Taking 2 young children to the park on your own

susan1981

Reaction score
I have 2 children who are 2.5 and the other just turned 4.

My friends often arrange days out to the park but they only have the 1 child. But I really struggle with taking both of mine to big parks. Small ones where I can see them both is fine but they often go to really big parks where it would be impossible to keep an eye on them both at the same time.

My 2 year old wants to sit in the swing most of the time whereas my 4 year old wants to run around. If we go to the big parks, I just can't see them both if it's just me with them so I generally avoid it. Don't get me wrong, when we go to small parks, I generally sit down while they run around. I don't need them within arm's reach, I just want to be able to see them. I just wondered how you manage this? I wonder if I'm overreacting but I'm 100% uncomfortable with not having them in sight at all times.

You're not over-reacting because I feel the same way with my 3 and 1 year old. My 1 year old is walking now but eats near enough everything so I need to have a lot of attention on her, whilst my son will not play by himself so it is just so so tough on my own. I usually take them to parks with my mum or OH so one of us is always with one of them. I'd like to take them to soft play on my own too but again, my 3 year old won't go play on his own and my daughter will probably get herself in danger!

Last edited:
It's hard gong isn't it. I just get so paranoid when if I can't see them for a moment, especially in large parks. Anyone could take one of them so I don't feel I'm overreacting but at the same time, I don't feel my friends completely get it. They always say that they'll keep an eye on my 4 year old (as their kids are the same age) but how I can I expect them to keep an eye on my son if their child has run in the opposite direction.

if I can get my youngest off the swing, sometimes they will play together but generally one will want to go one way, while the other wants to go the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back