Taken the plunge into private fertility treatment

Discussion in 'Long Term TTC & Fertility Issues' started by Blueflower, May 20, 2013.

1. Blueflower

Blueflower Well-Known Member

I’ve taken the plunge and booked us in at an open evening next month at the nearest private fertility clinic! I wanted to leave it a few months after my final investigation (which was in March) in case things happened naturally, so I think its time now. I did email them twice at the beginning of the year but had no replies! I suppose it’s because they charge for every letter/telephone call etc! Welcome to the world of Private Heath Care! This way we can have a look around and if we’re not impressed we haven’t forked out for a consultation. I hope its ok because the next nearest one is a lot further away.

NEVER thought I’d be in this position, it’s not great! :family: One good thing is that hubby is willingly coming with me, otherwise I’d have to keep saying "I’m not single, my husband just can’t make it!" which would make me feel unsupported and self-pitying! :violin:

2. sunnyland27

sunnyland27 Well-Known Member

I know you don't think it blueflower, but this is amazing news. It's getting you closer to where you want to be. Remember money is just made up stuff we can't rake with us. It doesn't matter how much you spend or how skint you end up, you won't regret any if it. In the mean time, keep baby-dancing! you never know ;)

Can't believe they charge for letters or even the first consultation! x

3. tinselcat

tinselcat Well-Known Member

Good luck blueflower!

As I'll probably be following you soonish, would love to hear any tips or info you pick up along the way!

i don't know what options you're considering but my OH is talking about egg sharing to make things cheaper but as we only got 7 eggs on first IVF this doesn't sound very promising to me, also would they pick the best ones for the person you're donating to? If you find out i'd love to know the answer! :)

Once again, best of luck!

4. Moley

Moley Well-Known Member

Good luck hunny x x

5. bunnyhunny

bunnyhunny Member

Good Luck to you!!

I hope everything goes well and this could be a great beginning to happiness for you and your hubby!

Keep us up to date with your journey x

6. gemmainthesun

gemmainthesun Well-Known Member

Good luck blueflower I think you are making the right choice x

7. KMG

KMG Well-Known Member

good luck

xx

8. LD1978

LD1978 Well-Known Member

Good luck - I think it's a great move and will give you some great info x

9. misssparkles

misssparkles Well-Known Member

Hi blue flower whats the age for private treatment if you dont mind me askinf like the starting age xxx

10. Blueflower

We have to pay because I'm now 40. Its annoying because we started TTC when I was 38 and I mentioned starting a family to my partner when I was 36 but he wasn't ready.

11. hayes

hayes Well-Known Member

Gud luck my lovely.

Michelle. x

12. Blueflower

Yes! An initial consultation is £185, follow up consultations are £130, a 15 minute phone consultation is £60, copy of notes is £35 and drugs are from £800-£2500 per cycle!!

13. Clairabella

Clairabella Well-Known Member

Best of luck when are you starting the IVF x

14. Blueflower

Not sure, its just a visit at this stage. We will see what they recommend first, maybe start with IUI as its less invasive and cheaper although I've heard its not that successful....

15. Positive37

Positive37 Well-Known Member

good luck Blueflower i am 39 and just got BFP on our first cycle... if u have any questions happy to answer them
    its all so expensive but u really are a step closer, and dont worry about age, i had good eggs for my age and u will too am sure
    i will keep an eye on your thread
    lots of love and best wishes

16. Blueflower

That's great, congratulations! I've learnt that egg quality/fertility doesn't always correlate to your age, phew! Thank you!

17. Positive37

Positive37 Well-Known Member

it sure doesnt so all the best hunny i know exactly what your going through xxxxx

18. Blueflower

We went to the open evening at the private fertility clinic yesterday. The main consultant also works at our local NHS hospital but I think that’s quite common! There was a presentation with lots of stats and graphs, my husband found the ‘Science bit’ interesting but I knew it all due to research and this forum! He asked a couple of questions which was encouraging. The consultant kept reiterating about age being the main factor, but I’m going to have to get used to that! He did also talk a lot about sperm donation and ICSI which we wouldn’t need, so that made me feel a bit better! He said that the sedation used for egg collection not only stops the pain but means that you can’t remember it either, which was reassuring!

We had a chat with the Embryologist who was really nice and answered all my questions (the main consultant was being monopolised by an annoying loud woman with some strange ideas!) about whether IUI would be worth it for my age and would work with my ovarian reserve. He said as we don’t have any actual medical problems but the only factor is my age, we might be ideal candidates! He also reassured me about the needles for the IVF injections! I asked about trying Clomid just to give us more of a chance before starting any actual treatment, but we’d have to discuss that at the consultation. We’re going to book a consultation a.s.a.p, the waiting list is only about 4 weeks! So I feel quite positive about it all! :)