Switching to a home birth very late on

Jingle

Reaction score
I suffer badly from anxiety, I think the whole prospect of the hospital experience is the source of my anxiety. My pregnancy has been very straightforward so far with no complications and I am deemed low risk- does anyone think it is possible to switch to a home birth ? I just feel this may reduce my stress and allow me to concentrate on what my body needs to do best. I think baby may come this week as I'm having irregular tightening and have lost my mucus plug, I am 40+3- Do I have the right to change my mind? Thinking of calling my midwife in the morning.

Or am I being ridiculous and its late night stress thoughts.......

I don't think anyone on here can tell you, speak with your midwife! I expect if you're low risk and haven't had complications, it might be ok? Especially if you've had any previously without complications.

I'd have a good chat with your midwife this morning - how supportive would she be do you think?

Personally, i'm a bit of a hippie at heart and I really don't see what the issue would be with you wanting to birth at home in your own calm environment.. I know it's not always that simple with logistics and midwife availability but as long a someone is on board in case of an emergency, I say go with your gut and do it.. If it's the thought of hospital and big scary machines that's stressing you out then it makes perfect sense to avoid that as you need to be as calm as possible through labour.. Best of luck, I really hope you get what you want! xx

Hahahaha! My brain never sleeps I swear!

Aw thank you ladies, I'm going to chat to the husband and the midwifed this morning and see what they say. They can only say no I guess. I was wanting to try hupnobirthing but the way I feel about going to hospital I really don't think I'll manage. Plus not really much difference between being in the MLU and at home, just those 20 mins if needed.

Thank you for your kind replies

Hi Jingle, I am 40 weeks on Monday and I am low risk so planning to hAve a home birth. In my area they have a home both team which has just been set up. I am sure if you give your midwife or local hospital a call they will put you in touch with the home birth midwifes. Here when you are giving birth to you have two come out to you. Good luck I wish you all the best and hope you get your home birth xx

Sadly it's not to be, so I'll need to endure the trip in. Hopefully going to be offered an earlier sweep if the boss midwife says it's ok..... I'll def be staying home as long as possiblel though, really hope she comes this week as I can't take all this waiting much longer

Can I ask what reasons they gave to say no? It is entirely your decision and your right to give birth wherever you wish - they can only advise against it, not refuse, although I can understand it might be a bit last minute for them...but seeing as pretty much all their ladies could give birth anytime in a 5 week period, it shouldn't be that much of an issue..

It's your right to birth where you want & how you want. It is their duty to attend you if you phone up and say you are in labour and staying home, they have to send someone by law if you request it.

I had a homebirth, best thing ever. If it's what you want, don't take no for an answer.

I spoke to them and although they didn't say no said it would be Tuesday before everything was in place, convinced me I'd be fine but if if really dug my heels in I think they would have. I'm hoping to have a baby well before Tuesday! Was a bit disheartened but maybe it is better. I'm exhausted already from the stop start pains plus my anxiety goes off the scale at night. I'm stubborn so I may dig my heels in as and when the time comes!! No sweep tomorrow either as no space so feel like I'm being a bit left to cope on our own, can't understand why there is such variation in one country over when things are done. I laid out my anxiety issues at the very start as it was important to me that it was taken into account but um not so sure, just feel I'm brushed off as another fussy pregnant woman sometimes when i do actually have a genuine mental health issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back