Swimming?

KelliMarie

Reaction score
Can you go swimming whilst being pregnant?

i have been told that i cant go swimming in public pools cause i can catch things, but then i was told i couldnt go swimming in my own pool as the coldness of the water would shock the baby.

is that right? is it safe to go swimming?

id be happy to just go swimming in my own garden pool, would i need to leave the water to warm up first?

Thank you!:)

I don't know the answer but I couldn't see why you couldn't go swimming?? I went swimming when I was pregnant in a public pool, I didn't have any problems? I suppose there would be no harm in warming up your own pool to be on the safe side?! Congratulations on your pregnancy xx

I've never heard this!
I swam nearly all the way through my pregnancy, in public pools, pools abroad and in the sea and my baby is fine!

Go for it!

I've swam almost every day throughout this pregnancy and there are no issues with bubs.... i've never heard that you can't swim when pregnant in fact it's one of the best forms of exercise when you are x the chlorine in the pool kills any germs xx

I asked my midwife and she said as long as I was over 16 weeks there was no problem! Xx

I keep meaning to go swimming but don't ever quite get round to it... Never heard of waiting til 16 wks etc tho. Weird!

I've swam before, during and after pregnancy. Never heard about not going, to be honest. It's supposed to be good exercise when pregnant because the water supports your weight.

never heard the 16 week bit before either......

Swimming is fine there are aquanatal classes available in some areas. The only exclusion would be if your waters are gone.

I've been swimming today and also my midwife told me no breast stroke after 15 weeks

I've finally braved it & ordered a maternity tankini (yuck!) I'm going back to the gym to swim & can't subject people to my pregnancy body in a bikini!!x

I've never been told not to avoid swimming. I am a physiotherapist and I would advise you not to do breast stroke though as the action can cause you pelvic girdle pain. Or aggravate things like spd.....front crawl is fine though or back stroke. You would soon know if swimming was doing you more harm than good. And baby is well protected and cushioned! X

Swimming is fine. Be wary of doing frog leg kick for breast stroke but otherwise you are fine provided your waters haven't gone and you aren't experiancing bleeding at all. It's very good fir you to swim as you tone and excersise without putting weight and pressure I swam a fair bit through pregnancy I won't go at mo as scared my waters may go! But it's sooo relaxing even if you dont swim too fast or too far just gentle laps or bobbing in water x

Swimming is a great form of exercise while you are pregnant! I'm going to get back into it, as I want to stay fit (I was very active pre pregnancy and have slacked off) pre and post birth!

That's an absolute load of rubbish - cant believe theyve told you that! You can catch something from going into a supermarket lol! I work at a swimming pool and they are perfectly safe for pregnant women so don't worry! It's excellent exercise and helps take the weight off when you get bigger! X

Swimming is excellent for you! It's one of the best exercises you can do while pregnant because it has very low impact on your body and baby. I would just avoid public pools because you never know if they are balanced are not (chemically)

You wouldn't be allowed to swim in a public pool if it want chemically balanced! You should see how many tests you have to do on them a day!they are no different to private pools whatsoever!

Why in earth can't you do breast stroke? I hate doing crawl and backstroke is really tiring. I've been swimming breaststroke all the way through pregnancy so far with no issues. Please don't say there's ANOTHER thing we can't do! xxx

Dotty women I was just going to say exactly the same thing!

I've been today .... And only did breast stroke.... I can't really do proper front crawl.

It's breast stroke or nothing I'm afraid? Xx

Last edited:
Breast strokes fine as long as you don't over do the widening of your legs! It's all to do with your ligaments in your pelvis overstretching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back