swelling fingers and wrists

Layla

Reaction score
hey guys

I have noticed that after i sleep, i wake up with painful wrists and fingers, the feel a bit puffy.

not sure if im just laying on them funny or whther it is a pregnancy thing, coz i never had this before.

They also feel a bit tingley, almost numb, I have to move them around lots to make the ache go away, once its gone, they are fine, untill the next time i sleep.

going to see my midwife next week so if its still happeing i will mention it then, but any ideas?

According to my book (it's my bible) swelling is fairly common in pregnancy. If you're getting pain and it's confined to the wrist, thumb and first 2-3 fingers then it could be signs of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. Try not to sleep on your hands as it can make the worse and shake them vigorously over the side of the bed if the seize up whilst trying to sleep.

Speak to your midwife about it though sweetie, she could give you some more tips.

HTH xx

Hi Layla

Sounds like it could be Carpel Tunnel Syndrome as Sami says.

I was diagnosed with it only a couple of weeks ago, and now I've been given some splints which I'm using to sleep in - it stops it getting too bad in the night - they keep your wrists at an angle to stop your swollen wrists from compressing the blood vessels.

I've been reassured that in most cases the symptoms subside after baby's born and the swelling goes down.

I'd see your GP about it before it gets any worse. Hope it's not CTS as it sucks, but if it is, then hopefully you'll get some wrist support sooner rather than later.

LBxx

thanks guys

how do they diagnosed it? mine is back again this morning, and yesterday afternoon i noticed my fingers went a bit numb and tingley.

i will mention it to my midwife next week, but if it gets worse in the mean time i will call her before

Hi Layla

In my case it was diagnosed through symptoms as it's quite common through pregnancy.

If it continues for long after you have stopped nursing then it can be fixed with a small operation - before they did this I think they would want to confirm the diagnosis which is apparently done by measuring the speed of the nerve impulse through the carpal tunnel.

My midwife wasn't able to do anything other than to refer me to my GP. It's worth bearing that in mind, as it delayed the 'treatment' in my case by a week as I had to wait to get a doctor's appointment.

LBxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back