Sweep?

Bre

Reaction score
Doctor said she’s going to give me a sweep next week at my 38week appointment. What should I be expecting from the sweep?? Has anyone had one what were your thoughts??

I had 3 with my little boy! They are uncomfortable - in the same way as a smear - but only 1 of mine was painful (and I think that was down to the over enthusiastic midwife rather than anything else!) I was told after my first one that 'You wont need a second one. You're ready to go. I'm never wrong....' I had 2 more before induction :rotfl:

Good luck!! Hope it goes well x

Reactions: Bre
I had 3 with my little boy! They are uncomfortable - in the same way as a smear - but only 1 of mine was painful (and I think that was down to the over enthusiastic midwife rather than anything else!) I was told after my first one that 'You wont need a second one. You're ready to go. I'm never wrong....' I had 2 more before induction :rotfl:

Good luck!! Hope it goes well x
You had 2 and still had to be induced!!! What’a champ.... I’m currently talking to a friend who got a sweep done in December she had her baby 24hours later. I guess it works for some and not so much for others!!! And thank you me too hope it goes well and have my LO by next weekend if not the week after

I had one at 39 weeks and it was extremely painful and didn't work. Apparently most people don't find it painful though, hopefully yours doesn't hurt. x

I had one at 40 weeks and I think it worked. At that point I could have been about to go into labour anyway though so never know x

I had one but only went into labour a week and a half later when my water broke. It felt uncomfortable but not painful. I think it depends on how rough your midwife will be! Good luck! Hopefully it will work for you!x

I’m really surprised by people that have been allowed them before 40 weeks. Where I am (Scotland) they told me with all 3 of mine that they will not do a sweep until you are over your due date and obviously they won’t sweep at any point if head isn’t engaged because they could risk cord prolapse.

I used to joke that I gave birth naturally to my daughter because I was booked in for a sweep at 11am and was terrified it was going to hurt but my waters went naturally at 6am!

I was induced with both my boys before they ever did a sweep although with my third pregnancy they did a sweep a few hours after I had had the induction stuff. I don’t remember it being particularly painful, just really uncomfortable and I’m quite a wimp with pain x

I’m really surprised by people that have been allowed them before 40 weeks. Where I am (Scotland) they told me with all 3 of mine that they will not do a sweep until you are over your due date and obviously they won’t sweep at any point if head isn’t engaged because they could risk cord prolapse.

I used to joke that I gave birth naturally to my daughter because I was booked in for a sweep at 11am and was terrified it was going to hurt but my waters went naturally at 6am!

I was induced with both my boys before they ever did a sweep although with my third pregnancy they did a sweep a few hours after I had had the induction stuff. I don’t remember it being particularly painful, just really uncomfortable and I’m quite a wimp with pain x

I'm being offered a sweep at 38 weeks too. I had ivf and it's common for most ivf. Pregnancies to have this as they do not want you to go over due date... I am In Scotland too

I had a sweep with my first, just a little uncomfortable (maybe partially due to the fact that it was done by a male midwife!) was told I was already 4 cm but continued to go all the way over to induction. Didn’t work for me but hey it’s worth a shot!

In Australia you don't get a sweep before your due date. I only did because I went to the hospital one morning and they decided I needed to come back to be induced that evening. They thought a sweep might get things going before induction but sadly not!

I was surprised aswell she offered to sweep me at 38 weeks but baby’s head is engaged it’s not floating and she’s really really low so I’ve decided I rather try for a sweep then go over due!!

I had a sweep with my first, just a little uncomfortable (maybe partially due to the fact that it was done by a male midwife!) was told I was already 4 cm but continued to go all the way over to induction. Didn’t work for me but hey it’s worth a shot!
Oh wow 4cm!!! they usually say that you have a high chance of going into labor up to 24 hours later if that dilated! I heard being induced hurts!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back