Sweep!

emmimoo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Am week 39 today and it has been suggested that if I reach week 40 that they will give a sweep a go.
This is 1st bub so am a bit of a novice.....what does it involve? I appreciate you lie back and think of England whilst midwife "inserts" something, but is it sharp? Is it painful? What is everyone's experience of it?
Am curious as my gynae nurse spotted the beginnings of another cervical polyp last summer before I got pregnant and after a lot of irregular bleeding. Just don't want to have the unnecessary worry if I do start bleeding if the midwife has bashed/ruptured polyp as obviously no-one has checked it since last year so I have no idea if it's still there, if it's grown or what.

Any feedback would be awesome!

:)

They insert their fingers up into cervix and sweeping motion to try and make membranes move away from cervix wall first baby here too but that's what I'm told xx

WSS ^^^

Dont think theyll be inserting anything else hun.

Some have said its uncomfortable, some say its fine. And i believe its normally over in seconds.

I havent had one before (1st baby) but ill be requesting lol!! X

Im thinking I mau get one today as thats me 40 weeks plus 2 and Im going for a consultant appointment. Ill let you know what it is like as this os also my first. Have to say Im a little nervous but hope it works too!!

I've had one and I'm a right wimp .. I found it fine mine didn't hurt or anything x

No thy don't really hurt, just extra tender and uncomfortable. They just use their fingers inside the neck of your womb to try break the membranes.
Was the polyp removed? Or just left? They will be able to see it if they use a speculum so mention it and ask her to check, but if it does bleed it's not harmful or anything and u won't feel it x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back