Swab results

Sophie_P

Reaction score
I got called in to the doctors this afternoon following my swab results.I got told i've got Group B Strep. Does anyone know what this is?
She handed a paper and said midwife has to know, a prescription for Penicillin four times a day and said i'd more than likely have to be on a drip whilst i'm so labour. Xx

I'm afraid I don't know anything about it but hope you're ok Sophie xx it sounds like they've got a good treatment plan in place got you, which is good xx

Hey hun, id post this in tri 3 or pregnancy section. Ull get more replies from ladies further on.

Ive seen a few threads about it recently but cant find them for u sorry xx

Sophie!!!! I have this. I had some swabs before my laparoscopy in August and they told me I have this and lots of women have it without knowing. However it is a very good thing to know because the only time it can cause any types of complication is during labour. The fact that your midwife will now know you have this at labour is great as its now easy for them to make sure you have antibiotics at the right time ect. I told my gyne we were ttc and he assured me it will not cause complications if your midwife is aware then you and baby will be fine xxx

Last edited:
It's something that if passed to baby during labour can cause problems but because you know about it, they will give you antibiotics during labour so baby will be fine :) xxx

Fantastic! Really hope it doesn't cause me to miscarry etc been worrying like hell xx

Well knowledge is power as they say- it's great they know about it as they can prepare for it now xxx

Found out today my first lot of blood for hormone levels were bang on perfect, will get my second lot tomorrow

Update- I rung the doctors to asked if my second lot had come back, she said they had and levels are rising appropriately :)

Gbs wont cause miscarriage hun. Ive got it. It does mean in most areas they will give u iv anti biotics in labour and that should do the trick for you. 40%Of women carry it apparently and it can just come and go. They dont usually give you antibiotics now because it doesnt do anything. (Well thats what i was told) as it doesnt cause the mum any trouble at all. I am due today so i havent actually had my baby yet so cant tell you if it will 100% work ha. But the midwife made me promise not to worry about it lol xx

Well god knows why i'm on Penicillin then? Confused.

yes me , when I was in labour had to have antibotices from a drip x

It may just be your gp hun. I know my nhs doesnt do it. Docs can be very area selective i think. Its awesome about your homo.es tho x

Yeah i'm really happy now and can relax.bean making me ill though haha x

So pleased that your hormone levels are rising as they should :) x

The real problem with Strep B is if you don't know you have it hun!

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back