survey on reading

Xena

Reaction score
Would you mind very much filling out a survey for me, I'd be ever so grateful :)

1) Do you enjoy reading novels?

2) Have you ever purchased any novels in PDF format?

3) If you answered no to question 2, would you ever consider purchasing any novels in PDF format?

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series?

5) What is your preferred genre of novel?

6) How often do you purchase new novels?

7) Do you like to read all books by a particular author, or do you stick to a preferred genre, or do you read whatever is on the best-sellers list, or do you simply look for a book that catches your eye?

Thanks again :D

Yep

Nope

3) If you answered no to question 2, would you ever consider purchasing any novels in PDF format?

nope

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series?

Either I don't choose them cos of that.

Horror, Crime, mystery

Brand new or from Charity shops? :lol: Either way about once a month

7) Do you like to read all books by a particular author, or do you stick to a preferred genre, or do you read whatever is on the best-sellers list, or do you simply look for a book that catches your eye?

I stick to a few authors, unless recommended, never really buy a book that catches my eye, only authors I know of or have heard good things about.

recently i have done

no

probably not... :| because i like reading books in the bath and in bed!

single

not sure,,, ive been reading fiction at the moment about girls growing up in the 30s etc like "polly perkins", "sadie was a lady" and east end girl

i read one book a week... my mum gets them from library or book stall in town

Joan jonker is my fave at the min :D

1) Do you enjoy reading novels? YES

2) Have you ever purchased any novels in PDF format? NO
3) If you answered no to question 2, would you ever consider purchasing any novels in PDF format? NO, NEVER

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series? ANY BOOKS ARE GOOD!

5) What is your preferred genre of novel? I READ EVERYTHING, EXCEPT CHICK-LIT

6) How often do you purchase new novels? WEEKLY/FORTNIGHTLY

WELL, AS I MANAGE A BOOKSHOP I READ EVERYTHING I CAN :wink:

Xena said:

Yes

Xena said:

No

Xena said:

Highly unlikely as I don't enjoy reading large amounts of text on screen and printing out to paper would be expensive.

Xena said:

Either

Xena said:

Anything but extreme fantasy stuff. And detest romance.

Xena said:

Monthly

Xena said:

Often read books by the same author. Tend not to bother too much with the bestsellers list. Quite often go on personal recommendations. Like non fiction also.

Yes, very much!

No. I have read free short stories (like Barthes' Mythologies)

Possibly. I wouldn't want to be sat at a computer to read though and the printing would cost lots. If it was substantially cheaper than buying a book I could be convinced.

I'm very greedy so I prefer series as that way you get thousands of pages of good story rather than hundreds. But I'd rather read an excellent stand alone novel than a mediocre series.

Hmmm, tricky. I often just go for ones with the Richard and Judy bookclub stickers on as they tend to be really good! I like murder mysteries, but not gruesome bits so much. I love if they have an historical setting like the Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom. Or if they throw new ficticious perspectives on old thoughts, for example An Instance Of The Finger Post or The Da Vinci Code. I love fantasy novels - ones that include magic. I love childrens novels as they have very inventive plots. I do much prefer fiction though I also like fact books - like the QI book of General Ignorance.

If you average it throughout the year, once or twice a week. Though I tend to buy lots at a time then go shopping for more. Then there's the library and borrowing from friends too.

7) Do you like to read all books by a particular author,
If I have loved a book by an author, yes definately. If not, no.

or do you stick to a preferred genre,
When looking for something new I may do this though I find at different times I like to read different sorts of books. Like on a lazy summer's weekend I'd love to laze around reading the surreal humour of Tom Holt but a crime book would seem less exciting. At the moment I am reading a humourous fantasy novel by Tom Holt, Anne of Windy Willows by L.M. Montgomery and Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin. My mood will dictate which one I pick up. I started Knots and Crosses a week ago but I just don't feel like gloomy murders at the moment. The other 2 I started within the last couple of days and I will finish them both in the next day or 2. I read quite extensively over a lot of genres. Conversely, I would avoid horror, romance and war as genres.

or do you read whatever is on the best-sellers list,
I don't look at the best seller list and every novel seems to say on the front of it that it is a best seller so that doesn't help much. If it has a sticker on it from Richard and Judy or the Times then I'm likely to buy it (assuming the back makes the story sound interesting to me)

or do you simply look for a book that catches your eye?
Yup, I do that too. I know it's not necessarily the best way to start, but I always look at the large displays of book of the week and the chart in Waterstones. Admittedly these are based on the publishers paying rather than literary merit, however publishers will throw their money into books they think will do very well so it's a good start for looking for inspiration. Or ones that are recommended by friends.

Hmm, sorry for the long answers!

1) Do you enjoy reading novels? YES

2) Have you ever purchased any novels in PDF format? NO

3) If you answered no to question 2, would you ever consider purchasing any novels in PDF format? NO , PC GIVES ME HEADACHE BEST OF TIMES , LIKE TO GET COMFY WITH BOOK

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series? EITHER , CURRENTLY ON SERIES THO ( JAMES PATTERSONS ALEX CROSS)

5) What is your preferred genre of novel? MURDER / CRIME / HORROR , TBH ANYTHING BY JAMES PATTERSON OR PETER JAMES

6) How often do you purchase new novels? BUY IN BULK , SO I CAN READ THE SERIES IN ORDER LOL

I AM JAMES PATTERSON FAN , STARTED OFF WITH HIS WOMENS MURDER CLUB SERIES , HAVE READ SOME OF HIS STAND ALONE TOO AND NOW ONTO THE ALEX CROSS SERIES . THATS ENOUGH TO KEEP ME BUSY FOR A LONG TIME !

) Do you enjoy reading novels? Yes
2) Have you ever purchased any novels in PDF format? No
3) If you answered no to question 2, would you ever consider purchasing any novels in PDF format? No, I find reading on screen less relaxing/easy. I often print things off just to read from paper rather than screen!
4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series? If I've read one, I like to read the 'set', but it's never a factor in choosing what to read.
5) What is your preferred genre of novel? thriller/horror/historical

6) How often do you purchase new novels? I buy books constantly from charity shops plus pass amongst friends but rarely 'new'
I'll look twice at a book by an author I know and like, but mainly shop by genre.

Are you looking to publish via PDF Xena?

Yup

Not purchased but I have downloaded free versions

Yes

both, depends on the story

Fantasy. true stories

once a month

I look for a book that catches my eye or has been recommended to me by someone.

1) Do you enjoy reading novels? Yes

2) Have you ever purchased any novels in PDF format? Yes

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series? Not fussy

5) What is your preferred genre of novel? Sci-fi & thriller

6) How often do you purchase new novels? every week

Whatever catches my eye

3) If you answered no to question 2, would you ever consider purchasing any novels in PDF format? No I like to be comfy and I like to read in the bath!

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series? Either

5) What is your preferred genre of novel? I'll read anything!

6) How often do you purchase new novels? every couple of weeks but mainly borrow not purchase!

Whatever catches my eye

Xena said:

Yes (not that I get much of a chance these days)

No

No

Stand-alone novels

Thriller/crime

Before Jake was born about once a month, but since he was born I have managed to read one and 1/3 books!

I usually read the things recommended by Richard and Judy :oops: but if I really really enjoy something I will read more by that author

yes i read all the time

nope

no

depends on what sort of novel it is and how many there are in the series as it can get a little boring

horror/crime

oh i buy a few a year more if there is something i really want

i first look for/buy ones by my fav authors then i will have a browse at whats new and recomended :)

YES OCCASIONALLY

NO

YES IF IT WAS MUCH CHEAPER

I DONT THINK I HAV A PREFERENCE REALLY

FANTASY/FAIRY-TALES

LESS THAN ONCE A YEAR

KINDA STICK TO MY GENRE

3) If you answered no to question 2, would you ever consider purchasing any novels in PDF format? No

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series? Either, but loved the Beast house trilogy by Richard Laymon

5) What is your preferred genre of novel? Horror

6) How often do you purchase new novels? Used to be weekly but less often now since finding this forum :wink:

7) Do you like to read all books by a particular author, or do you stick to a preferred genre, or do you read whatever is on the best-sellers list, or do you simply look for a book that catches your eye? I like to stick to certain authors but if another takes my fancy then I'll give it a chance.

Xena said:
Would you mind very much filling out a survey for me, I'd be ever so grateful :)

3) If you answered no to question 2, would you ever consider purchasing any novels in PDF format? No

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series? Either - but have to admit to rushing to buy series novels more quickly
5) What is your preferred genre of novel? Fantasy or crime

6) How often do you purchase new novels? a few times a month

7) Do you like to read all books by a particular author, or do you stick to a preferred genre, or do you read whatever is on the best-sellers list, or do you simply look for a book that catches your eye? all of them - but I also borrow from libraries a lot

Xena said:

4) Do you prefer single stand-alone novels, or novels that are part of a series? Either - but have to admit to rushing to buy series novels more quickly
5) What is your preferred genre of novel? Fantasy or crime

6) How often do you purchase new novels? a few times a month

7) Do you like to read all books by a particular author, or do you stick to a preferred genre, or do you read whatever is on the best-sellers list, or do you simply look for a book that catches your eye? all of them - but I also borrow from libraries a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back