superstition...

Tell

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I would love to know how other people think about the whole superstition behind having a baby, such as

dont bring a pram into the house...
dont buy anything until 4 weeks before

and more strange but well known wives tales like this.

personally i have been known to be superstitious, i still avoid 3 drains and walk over 2, i would never walk under ladders, but to me it all silly things more childish fun that i never grew out of.

but i feel that placing such ideas onto something so important as my baby is crazy.
i purchased my pram as it was a great deal right now and many people have said not to take it into the house, to return it things like that, as if, if i did it would do some harm to the baby?

personally it makes me quite sad when i hear those things said.

is this just me, or is it something that is really followed.

any answers will be well recieved?

thank you

xxx

"dont bring a pram into the house...
dont buy anything until 4 weeks before"

I have never heard of these! I wouldn't think twice about bringing the pram into your house! don't know what the logic is behind this. and the second one- I could not imagine leaving all my shopping til 36wks...1-i'll be massive, 2-how are you supposed to prepare 3-surely not having anything is a bigger jynx because you're not prepared! 4-what if LO comes early?

I'm a little bit superstitious as well. Don't walk under ladders etc, but when it comes to the baby I want to be really prepared and have everything I need. I got my pram quite early but it was to get my dog used to it as he don't like wheels. I think if you think about it and believe in them too much something bad is more likely to happen. Try to forget about the superstitions and concentrate on your beautiful baby growing inside you and get what you need when YOUR ready :)

thank you guys thats exactly how i feel! i just wish people would stop making such silly comments that is really are saying if you do that your gonna loose it! its crazy not to mention very mean.
its nice to know that you guys feel the same :)
sorry rant over xxx

I think sometimes it depends who's saying it. Out of respect to my mum and mil who have both miscarried I put the pram into storage and didn't buy anything til 14 weeks....but tbh we are not in the position to refuse a bargain.

A lot of these stem from days gone by where there were never any answers for mc or stillbirth whereas today we can at least get advice, support and reasons to most, we don't have to rely so heavily on good luck and superstition to have successful pregnancies

unfortunately im not having my pram in my house until bubbas here, when i eventually buy it gonna keep it at my mums,

and also not bought anything yet, prob wont til after my 20 weeks scan,

Silly really but the things we do....

I don't believe any of this crap. According to superstition (and a load of people who I know!) I shouldn't even BE pregnant as a I bought a load of baby gear off my cousin and stored it in the loft when we were ttc...

What if you already have your pram in the house from a previous baby, are you ment to remove it from the house?

I think a lot of this comes from the older generation, and like some else said it was their way of dealing with loss. Loss of a baby wasn't something that was dealt openly with even up till recently, and just like we still abide by the superstitions we grew up with, so have they. X

What if you already have your pram in the house from a previous baby, are you ment to remove it from the house?

i like this!! im gonna use that for next time someone says something!! :):) xx

Lol, it's ok if a healthy and happy baby has already been raised in one.....but a new empty pram supposedly stays empty if bought into the house. Same has a cot that has had a sick baby in it, all consequent babies who sleep there will be sick too....although I suspect this is more down to hygiene issues than anything else.

It was just devastated people trying to find a reason for a tragedy. I think we can all understand it even if we don't believe it xxxxxxxxxx

I'm not sure. I want to be prepared for the baby so I think I'm going to chance it! At the end of the day I reckon if something is going to happen, it will. Regardless of a pram being brought in to early etc. i'm being a rebel! Lol xx

its just a superstition from generations ago, some b elieve it, some dont x

Like others have said it's been passed from generation to generation when people had no explanation for why they either MC or baby was sick or died.

My mum asked the other day if I wanted her to take the cot back to hers as thst was bad luck, I explained I needed it here so we could work out spacing in the bedroom lol.

We will however be keeping the travel system at his grans, this is for 2 things one being superstition :) and 2 because his gran bought it for us and as she is house ridden it will be nice for her to see it all :)

Although not really supersticious I have opted not to have baby stuff in the house (except 1 or 2 bits stuff hubby has brought and is keeping in our spare room regardless of my say so!) I think it's partly because I am such a worrier and I keep convincing myself something is going to go wrong (because I want this baby so much- therefore in my mind if something can go wrong it will) and if i have a house full of baby stuff i feel that i am either tempting fate or if the worst does happen I'll have lots of baby stuff to be surrounded by which will hurt even more....

that said my parents and my sister who lives with them have spent hunderds of £££ on the baby including prams and other bits but they are keeping it at theirs :)

Mmmmm looking back maybe i am a tad more supersticious than i thought! xxxx

Everyone has their own opinion I suppose! I've always been quite positive thinking - with small things like we got mum and dad cups on the day of our first midwife appointment. That was at 6 weeks or so! I've just always thought that if the unavoidable should happen then I have a physical item to put away and attempt to move on - if you know what I mean? Xxx

i brought my pram at 10 weeks. but has been stored at work (work for my mum running a bridal shop)
ive got a few things here, not much at home because we are doing the bathroom and everywhere is dusty. but do plan after 20 week scan to take everything home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back