sun holidays in devon... devon people please help! :)

leckershell

Reaction score
We are looking at doing another Devon sun holiday this year in the next couple of months, basically before April... When we went in summer we went to woolacombe bay. This time we'll probably go to south devon so it's a quicker drive down the m5.

Anyone know south devon well enough to know which are the nice holiday parks? Nat has only ever been there with work, and I don't know anything about devon myself.

The place options are Bigbury on Sea, Brixham, Paignton, Shaldon, Torquay, Teignmouth, Dawlish, Exmouth and Cullompton.

Any ideas which ones are nicest? It will be me, OH and Ryan. We're not ones for sunbathing (not that we could in february/march anyway), we'd much rather have towns/attractions to visit.

Any replies much appreciated :)

Thanks x

leckershell said:
The place options are Bigbury on Sea, Brixham, Paignton, Shaldon, Torquay, Teignmouth, Dawlish, Exmouth and Cullompton.

Any ideas which ones are nicest? It will be me, OH and Ryan. We're not ones for sunbathing (not that we could in february/march anyway), we'd much rather have towns/attractions to visit.

Having lived in Dawlish and knowing south Devon very well I'd avoid staying in Dawlish, Teignmouth, Shaldon or Exmouth like the plague. Torquay is your best bet for a large town with decent facilities for that time of year. The smaller places are pretty dead and closed down for the winter. And from Torquay you can get to places like Brixham, Paignton and so on easily enough. And day trips to Dartmoor and its attractions (if open) are easy from there also. Paignton Zoo also and a few other places, depending on what you want to do. The big aquarium in Plymouth also and loads of other places to visit.

I like Exmouth :) Though not sure if they're is much to do that time of year. I know Dionne came down to stay there so it would be worth asking her :)

I'd avoid anywhere in Torquay, Paignton and Brixham as they tend to be full of chav grockles :oops: Although you have got Paignton Zoo :? Although they're popular places with tourists, as locals they're places that you avoid. If I went for one of them I'd go for Paignton :)

There isn't really much around Teignmouth or Shaldon, there's a nice park at Teignmouth for LO, and you've got easy access to Dawlish and Dawlish Warren and then Exeter is just up the road.

Never been to Cullompton or Bigbury on Sea.

The thing with Exmouth so early in the year is everything is closed. And its a cut off from the rest of the coast and means a long drive anywhere else other than Exeter. Its a pain if you want to do stuff.

Torquay is large enough to have a mix of people and at least is central to many things. I'd go outside of the town for trips and that anyways if I was staying there. Paignton is also ok, but again tends to be more 'dead' so early in the season.

Dawlish is a hole. As is Teignmouth. Shaldon is pretty but there is nothing to do there.

Cullumpton is more a mid Devon town, certainly not coastal. Nothing there, certainly nothing for a holiday maker.

Definately selling the area aren't we Sherlock?

Devon in winter is pretty pants :rotfl: But there are some nice walks, you can have a cream tea in Bovey Tracey, go and see the Dartmoor ponies, have a chilly walk along the coast with some fish and chips for tea, visit Paignton Zoo, Plymouth Aquarium, Crealy (ooh I love Crealy I do!) etc. As long as you know it's going to be quiet and likely cold but you're just going for some family time and to wrap up all warm and eat comfort food then you'll be fine :D

Kina said:
Definately selling the area aren't we Sherlock?

O yeah :lol:

Don't get me wrong, there are some lovely parts of Devon and some great places to live, but Dawlish is not one of them IMO. I spent my teenage years living there and my parents still live there and while its pretty in the main town, its a hole of a place with too many pubs and a drug problem on a large scale. I visit it and its the same people doing the same crap as they were doing 15 years ago. Mind you, I guess the same can be said of lots of places :roll:

I'd always opt to go inland to stay/visit for most trips with the occasional trip to the seaside. There is so much to see and do as you said in your post, but most of it involves going inland. The beaches are lovely in moderation at any time of the year. I'd opt for Torquay simply as its large, has things to do in the off/quiet season and makes it easy to get to travel the rest of Devon. Its off season shortcomings are far easier to bear than smaller places such as Dawlish and Teignmouth. And its very pretty.

Dartmouth is a lovely place to visit also btw :) Totnes also, its very new agey but beautiful and has lots of lovely cafes, shops and so on.

Looking at it from a tourist's POV rather than a resident.......

My fondest childhood holiday memories are of Exmouth, but that was in the height of summer. I also spent a few weeks in Dawlish as a teen and loved it, but it was a bit scally in places.

Hiya, i just got my form through for a sun holiday i cant wait to go, going to try whales this yr though - last yr we went to devon cliffs. it was a nice holiday but it is quiet out of seson but we had a lovely break away, i went to Paignton and it was nice there too.

When's the collection on for these holidays, we wouldn't mind one this year :)

Apparently the code words started yesterday :( Does anyone have a sun from yesterday?

Dionne do you know which ones you are looking at in Wales? I've been to most of them :D

Haven site in Devon....

Devon Cliffs, i think its at Exmouth? lol probably wrong tho hah :)

Totnes also, its very new agey but beautiful and has lots of lovely cafes, shops and so on.

I like Totnes too, it has some lovely little shops. My stepmum opened her first smoothie cafe their last year and unsuprisingly it's doing fab, definately the right place for it!

Im going to hit the south coast this year :cheer: tommo suggested sun holiday yesterday and im up for it as we went a couple of years ago to minehead and it was fun!

mrs_tommo22 said:
Im going to hit the south coast this year :cheer: tommo suggested sun holiday yesterday and im up for it as we went a couple of years ago to minehead and it was fun!

Nooo, tell me when so I can leave the county! :rotfl: :wink:

i'm in north devon, between Appledore and Westward Ho! so if you decide to come North instead again, give us a shout :D

When we were little we used to stay at a place called Goodrington near Paignton! It was lovely! This was a good few years ago so not sure what it's like now! So no help from me really! :rotfl:

Hope you have a great time wherever you decide!

(by the way, tell Ryan to expect a late Christmas pressie in the next couple of days! :wink: :lol: )

Kina said:
mrs_tommo22 said:

Nooo, tell me when so I can leave the county! :rotfl: :wink:

Cheeky wagon! :rotfl:

Im thinking Bognor regis, southhampton or bournemouth. :D I love bournemouth beach :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back