Suggestions/advice to get bf baby to take a bottle?

BeckyBiscuit

Reaction score
My daughter is 6 weeks old and ebf. We've been trying on and off to get her to take a bottle of expressed milk since 4 weeks without much luck. 3 times she has drunk well, latching and sucking well-but the majority of times she refuses the bottle. She seems to either push the teat out of her mouth or just refuses to latch and then often appears to gag on it and choke which upsets her even more.
We've got the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles with size 1 teats. Not sure if there are other brands that mimic the beast better that people can recommend or if anyone has any tips on getting a baby to accept a bottle? I still want to carry on breastfeeding the majority of the time but want lo to be haopy having a bottle occasionally so hubby can feed her or so I can actually go out on my own! ;) Thanks x

Hi I have this problem as well and want to start doing a formula night feed so need her to start playing ball! Apparently the Dr brown bottles are a good choice and may make a difference. I think just perservere with it because if they are that hungry then they will take it.

Thanks. Was planning to keep trying her with it. Am also going to go to a breastfeeding support group tomorrow so maybe someone there will have some experience to offer. I've been invited out for the day next Saturday but it's in Birmingham which is about 40 mules from where I live. Really want to go for a few hours but it's not really fair to leave hubby with her if he can't feed or settle her! x

How did you get on at the support group? Hope that you were given some good advice? We find our lo takes the bottle better if I'm not around. Did you manage to have your day out?

Didn't really get any helpful advice as such-it was more just a sociable place to feed baby! Chatted to a few other Mums but their little ones had taken to bottles ok.
Day out was supposed to be this Saturday but as she still won't take bottles very well I'm not going to risk it. However have said to hubby I need to start leaving her with him for practice anyway-even if I just go shopping or to the gym for an hour. Have heard from other people that their lo takes a bottle better when they're not in the house-its as if they smell when the real thing is around! Having said that she gobbled down 3oz from a bottle from me yesterday morning with no problems, but then went back to flat out refusing later on. Trial and error I guess-will keep trying! x

Ha it sounds like she enjoys keeping you on your toes! My lo is refusing to go back to sleep at night at the moment, little monkeys aren't they!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back