Sudden Weight Gain

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by Rosieroo, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Rosieroo

Rosieroo Well-Known Member

Well I have been pootling along at the same weight for about 4 weeks now. Until today. I weighed myself and I've put on a massive 7lb in 1 week :shock: My eating hasn't gone up (I think I'm eating better TBH!) but I do have a lot of swelling in my feet and ankles (surely not 3.5lb in each one though!)

Is this anything to be concerned about?

2. Skidoo

Skidoo Well-Known Member

You're probably fine, but I'd give your doc or MW a call just to reassure yourself.

3. Sarah W Baby Belly

Sarah W Baby Belly Well-Known Member

I think it is best to get that one checked out at doctors hun, just to be safe.

4. Rosieroo

I have Parentcraft tomorrow so I will mention it to the midwife then.

Just seemed like such a lot!!

5. Sarah W Baby Belly

You are probably already aware of this but

I got this from Babyworld

"If you notice that you are putting on weight very rapidly in the last three months of pregnancy, tell your midwife or doctor. Sudden weight gain may indicate acute fluid retention – a possible sign of pre-eclampsia."

6. Rosieroo

Hell I know that, my feet/ankles are vile!

If it was pre eclampsia though my BP would've been up and my urine suspicious. My BP was 98/70 (was 100/60) and had no protein. :?

Hopefully the MW will shed more light on it tomorrow afternoon (if I can get her by herself!)

7. emilia

emilia Well-Known Member

Rosieroo.... you and I should be twins....
    I hadn't put any weight on for 4 weeks and then suddenly 4 kilos. Was mortified, but this week I went back to half a kilo (after 4 weeks)! I think that dispite the fact that the fluid retention is more evident in our feet and ankles, it's also all over our bodies incl. face, fingers and legs. I'm also sure something happening in my boobies...... I think I need to get the kitchen scales out - then again - they might just tip it over - they've become massively heavy!!!!!! Must be half a stone in each :shock: :shock:
    Emilia xx

8. Rosieroo

We were seperated at birth :D

I was feeling quite smug that I hadn't put any on for 4 weeks and was hoping that was going to be it. Then BOOM!

My boobs are bigger than they were, but compared to my belly they still look so out of proportion. My rings are tighter so I guess my hands are bigger, but most of the weight/fluid is pooled around my lower body in my feet and ankles. My legs are feeling 'heavy' when I walk up the stairs etc around the calf area, but it's hard to tell if they are much bigger as I haven't got a full length mirror and can only really see my feet and ankles when they are up on my foot rest.

9. Tiny Sue

Tiny Sue Well-Known Member

Get that checked!

That's one of the reasons I'm off work and I've only put up 2lb in the last week! My doctor says she thinks I'm big for my baby's gestational age...have mild swelling of face, hands and feet and my bp is 140/90...plus traces of protein in urine.

Have you been feeling headachy and/or irritable lately? And do you get spots before your eyes or visual disturbances...hun, take it handy, get it checked!

Sue

10. Rosieroo

Wow your BP is high! :shock:

I've been a bitch, but thought that was normal hormones, my head feels like it's stuffed full of cotton wool and have been feeling sicky again (almost like having my morning sickness back, but this comes on a bit later in the day).

Am definately going to check with the midwife today though as my feet felt like they were going to split open last night when I was stood up doing the washing up. Definately not feeling very attractive or happy at the moment!

11. Rosieroo

Apparently tis normal! :shock:

Midwife said 'ooooh yes you have put on weight since I saw you last' (bloody Tuesday and this was Friday!). DH said he doesn't think I look bigger, bless him.

Guess it's fluid and chocolate ;)

12. Tiny Sue

Tiny Sue Well-Known Member

Yes, it is high isn't it...

Been feeling crock for most of the day because of it... but really not doing much beyond faffing around directing husband about household chores.

I really should root out some knitting patterns...

Glad you are ok hun...fluid retention is so uncomfortable...but baby kicking away and even having the odd pull on the cord these days...which is most unpleasant but at the same time I laugh when she does it.

Been leaning heavily on the side of "she" lately and mostly get all broody about girls' clothes...think it's a sign?
    :lol:

Sue

13. AmberNicole

AmberNicole Well-Known Member

I put on 6lbs in one week near the end of my 3rd tri. Freaked me out! The nurse calmed me down and told me I was completely fine, just some water retention. It was July in Florida as well, very hot and humid....so that probably had something to do with it. I look at pics now and can't believe how swollen I looked, my face looked much heavier and I had hobbit feet!

14. Rosieroo

I should stop weighing myself - another 2lb on this morning.

Puts my total weight gain at 3 stone now :cry: Don't know why it's piling on so much, but I've found where it's going! The backs of my legs and my inner thighs. Lets hope breast feeding does 'melt away' the fat stores (as per breastfeeding vid in parentcraft) and some of this weight comes off afterwards!

15. Sarah W Baby Belly

Quite often women are suppoed to balloon a lot more when having girls. I don't know why though. It seems bloody cruel to me! :evil: . You can tell that our bodies were designed by a man! I really feel for you!

16. Rosieroo

Just feeling like a ball at the moment, really flabby and cellulitey.

Well she'll be worth it :D