Sucking for comfort?

Lulabell

Reaction score
Joshua seems to be doing this alot lately. Especially at night time. Sometimes latched on for 45 mins or more. I can tell he isn't sucking for a feed by the way he is moving his jaw. What can I do other then a dummy? Or will I just have to give in a give him one at night?x

I found this with Fin and decided to go for a dummy when he needs to sleep and then take it out of his mouth when he's asleep. Some babies are really "sucky" and better a dummy than my boobs was my thinking! when he's on the boob he eats-when he's got a dummy he's resting or sleeping. I plan on weaning Fin off the dummy by the time he's 1. Not an easy decision but it might save u hours of him latched onto you.

I just let him stay on at the moment. It's only in the daytime he does it! Do start removing him gently after a while tho.

Oz used to do this, even up to being a year old lol. He would never take a dummy, even if he was asleep and we did a quick swap he'd wake up, take it out his mouth, laugh at it and throw it away lol

I used to let him comfort suck. Once he was in a deep sleep I could unlatch him, but then keep him laying on/close to me til he returned to the deep sleep then I was able to move him without him waking.

xxxx

My baby does the comfort sucking too.... Tried three types of dummies but my baby doesn't
want it... Makes a horrible face and straight away pushes it out ( with force), if I try to keep it in starts
crying... So I let her comfort on my breast as nothing else works at the moment!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back