Success second time round?

Emily0505

Reaction score
I'm currently expecting baby number two.

I wasn't very successful with bf my son and ended up combined feeding for seven weeks before switching fully to formula.

We struggled due to supply issues, which I know a lot of ladies worry they're not producing enough, but when he was exclusively bf when discharged, he dropped weight again ( having previously gained the week he was in hospital and getting formula top ups) It was said that due to his weight loss if I wanted to continue to exclusively bf then we would need to be readmitted to hospital for closer monitoring and support.

I fed him from both breasts on demand, pumped between feedings (managed a whole 8mls ince!) took fenugreek and was also put on domperidobe by the gp but none of it seemed to help.

I would love to be able to bf my daughter when she arrives and will certainly be giving it another go.

Is there anything I can do in preparation to ensure a better chance of success this time round? Obviously if it's an anatomical issue on my part then there's not going to be much I can do but I would really love to be able to bf exclusively.

My local MLU is five minutes drive from home so I know I can always go there for help and they can put me in touch with a bf councillor for support too.

Has anyone had supply issues first time round and been successful second time round?

XX

Best advice I can give is to try to avoid introducing formula, as every formula feed you give is a signal to your body to produce less milk. And feed,feed, feed! It's harder when you've got an older sibling around too, but the more time baby spends at the breast the better. Look into getting a carrier so you can keep baby close and able to feed when out and about. And finding some breastfeeding support groups you can go along to and have a cup of tea with other mums so you can take confidence that you will get through those hard first weeks.

You might find this article helpful x

http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/low-supply/

Thanks hun.

Cam was in NNU with suspected sepsis and they suggested formula top ups after he'd bf. I guess with him being poorly they didn't want any more strain on him with weight loss.

I was thinking I might pop along to a bf group when my mat leave starts perhaps? Just for a chat and to check in before bubs is here.

Cam is at school now so I'll have some time during the day to concentrate on just feeding baby.

XX

Fab idea to go along to a group. They are usually really welcoming. Fingers crossed you won't have any time in NNU this time - Drs do seem overly keen to push formula (we had it when our first was admitted to have a tongue tie snipped - it's like they didn't understand that sorting her tie would help her feed better!).

Hi i had to give my baby top ups when she was born and weaned her of the formula other than one bottle, she only takes a few oz. I have to agree just avoid formula and keep putting baby to breast lots of skin to skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back