Struggling to quit smoking

Belvi

Reaction score
What is your experience? How to quit and when?
I'm trying to concieve and want to stop smoking before I even get pregnant but I struggle, I stop and start again...:mad:

I stopped smoking when I started TTC. I can't give you any advice - my need to get pregnant was stronger than my need to smoke, simply.

The best thing to do is get in contact with your local Smoking Cessation service if you have one.

Or, get along to your GP and ask them to help.

My mum stopped smoking when I told her I was pregnant, she used Champax. From what shes told me you take them every day (they are tablets) and eventually it makes you feel sick every time you have a cigarette and within 2 weeks she had stopped smoking.

It really depends what works best, some get e cigs, some get patches, some get medication..

I think in the first instance Id go to the SCS or GP and figure out what method is best for you. And as for when, is now - its never too early to give up smoking and start looking after your self. Especially when you want to try get pregnant, stay pregnant and then bring a healthy baby and getting to that point is filled with some very stressful times, so your will power has to be strong.

Hope this helps. Have a look at the link below.

http://www.nhs.uk/smokefree

And don't feel bad, although it may come easy for some it definitely does not come easy for others - it depends on the reason why you smoke, how deep routed the addiction is, what your will power is like and everyone differs. If its super easy for someone to stop smoking Id wonder why they were smoking in the first place - but everyone has their crux :)

Hope you manage to stop soon, for your health's sake. Such a disgusting habit.

xxxx

Thanks a lot :smile: this seems to be very useful, I'll check it for sure...

One of my friends was pregnant and only reduced smoking to a few cigarettes per day, what do you think about that? Her baby is healthy and she actually tried to explain to me that it is a bigger schock to stop instantly (when you are pregnant) than to reduce it gradually, should be a bigger schock for you and for the baby... I can't imagine to smoke even one cigarette when pregnant. What do you think about that?

I wasn't TTC but I fell pregnant while I still smoked. I'm 12 weeks along and haven't had a cigarette since I was around 5 or 6 weeks - the smell of them is what started my morning sickness - baby efficiently got me to stop smoking pretty damn quickly. I'm sure this doesn't happen for everyone, and there are many things you can do to help wean yourself off the fags.

I know that I wouldn't have had a hope in stopping right now if I weren't pregnant, the pregnancy is really what did it for me, and the guilt you feel smoking whilst pregnant is unbelievable. I'm pretty sure that would have gotten me to stop eventually if the sickness didn't.

Thanks a lot :smile: this seems to be very useful, I'll check it for sure...

One of my friends was pregnant and only reduced smoking to a few cigarettes per day, what do you think about that? Her baby is healthy and she actually tried to explain to me that it is a bigger schock to stop instantly (when you are pregnant) than to reduce it gradually, should be a bigger schock for you and for the baby... I can't imagine to smoke even one cigarette when pregnant. What do you think about that?

I personally think that is more an excuse to stop her feeling guilty for smoking whilst pregnant. No matter how strong an addiction, your babies health should come first. Yes, many women do smoke whilst pregnant and their babies are perfectly healthy. But is it really worth the risk? Just because 10 other people have healthy babies, it doesn't mean you will.

I personally stopped smoking at 11 weeks. For me having the scan (which was at 11 weeks) made it 'real' (I'd been convinced before that that I was imagining the pregnancy and wasn't really pregnant, convinced at the scan we would be told there either had never been a baby or that I had had a missed miscarriage). Prior to that I cut down drastically, smoking half a cigarette a day at most - and even that made me feel guilty as anything! But the scan gave me the kick up the butt I needed, and I haven't looked back since. I didn't try any stop smoking websites/products/NHS help etc. I simply saw it as 'right, my body isn't just mine any more and I will not make my baby smoke just so I can'. Not worth the risk in any way, as far as I am concerned. And I smoked for 15 years - it wasn't like this was a couple of fags a day giving up kind of thing!

When you are pregnant, nothing is (or should be) more important than your baby.

When we went for our booking appointment I did a breathe test which was 0 and it was linked to a laptop with a baby in the womb and depending on the level the baby went from green (healthy) to red (damaging). OH smoked at the time and the MW let him have ago, he smoked 10 a week and even that was enough to turn the baby risk because it feeds into the baby. It was glowing red.

Kinda put things into light for OH and he wasnt even pregnant but the thought of a smokey enviro was just a no go.

As SAHF says, some babies are healthy but others are not as lucky. And usually is a defense mechanism to seek reassurance by using the "such and such did it theyr babies were fine" the stats that are available are enough to make anyone not want to smoke for their own health as well as babies.

I work for a cancer hospital. Lung department has a very high turn around, mostly smokers. If it can do that to us over a period what can it potentially do to a baby or child.

So I say no smoking, at all. If people that do smoke then thats their choice, but its also a big risk that they take. Imo a life trumps a fag any day.

They stink make your hair, clothes and breathe stink, kill your gums and they kill you. I dont see anything appealing about that?

xxxx

Last edited:
I gave up before ttc as I knew we start ttc after our wedding in June. I went from 15 a day to the vape with an occasional social smoke if I went out, which wasn't often as soon as I found out I was pregnant I have my self one week with the vape and smoked it as little as possible, then I gave it to the girl at work so there was no going back. I found giving up easy it now after weeks of none I find it hard especially if I'm stressed like today. But I soon forget it, it's just that urge for one.
You can do it. It's easy than u think.

I will admit I struggled to stop smoking when ttc. But once I seen then beautiful 2 pink lines I stopped there and then if I hadn't I am pretty sure my all day sickness would of made me

You are true motivators, thank you :)
I know it is a very very bad habit, and once I quit I don't think I will start again.

I think also when I find out I'm pregnant I would stop immediately, that's for sure the best motivator. For now I decided to gradually reduce smoking, and than to quit totally when I get used to not smoking a lot. It seems like the easiest way for me, because quiting at once didn't help in the past... Now I smoke up to 15 cigarettes a day :x I'll try to come to a 2-3 cigarettes in 2 weeks and than I'll see.

So just to share my latest experience...

I said I will try to reduce smoking for the start, and as I was searching for some help I found one mobile app I'm now testing. It's an app that helps you to quit smoking slowly, day by day by reducing the number of cigarettes or you can also just reduce smoking if you set in the app the number of cigarettes you want to smoke per day at the end. So now I set up the number of cigarettes to 3 per day. It's really easy to use and helpful to me, it tells you when to smoke (you get a notification) and there are also a lot of tips and motivators in the app. For now I really believe in a good result, still 2 days to go :)
I someone wants to try here is the link https://goo.gl/uZtekt
Good luck, I'll let you know my results :)

I don't know about the advice regarding vaping when pregnant but I know so many people who have quit smoking since using them. Even my father in law who has smoked for forty years! It might just help and then once you've kicked the urge for cigarettes, then maybe it'll be easier to come off the vape. Just an idea - like I said, I don't know the official advice but I just imagine it must be safer than smoking cigarettes.

I don't know about the vape... I'm just sceptical about using them, I know the cigarettes are not healthier but for now I'll keep trying to reduce and than to quit totally.
We'll see, maybe I'll end up with a vape :)

I think vaping is just replacing one addiction with another tbh! Plus Law's are starting to come in across the globe regarding vapes. It's only taken so long because they are so new, so there is no long-standing research yet!

I think vaping is just replacing one addiction with another tbh! Plus Law's are starting to come in across the globe regarding vapes. It's only taken so long because they are so new, so there is no long-standing research yet!

I agree :good:

I smoked during all my four pregnancies. All were good weights and none were early. My third was a week late weighing 9in 11 and luck for me my plancanta showed no sign of me smoking. So they took it a way for testing. They never know who are affected by smoking. So it's best to quit from day one. I am one of the lucky ones but you will never know and is it worth the risk x

Well done for cutting down, you're moving in the right direction �� X

Well done for cutting down, you're moving in the right direction �� X

Thank you!

I cut it now to 4 cigarettes a day, this app is really helpful for me, soooo easy... :)
Now I'll keep it on 4 cigarettes per day just to adjust and then I'll try to quit completely in a week or two.

I stopped after reading the Allen Carr book. It's actually amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back