Struggling to conceive - over-active thyroid

Claire36

Reaction score
Hi, is anybody else in this situation? I have been off medication for nearly a year after having an over-active thyroid, however after going for a '21 day' blood test (had to go on day 22 as it was bank holiday) my results have come back that my thyroid results - both my T3 and T4 are showing signs of being high again. I have already been referred to the consultant as my controlling hormone has been 'wrong' since January.

In addition to this my BF works away in the week!!

I am feeling so down and alone.... I am 37 so I don't have time on my side and nothing is happening on the baby front :(

I have no idea what to do!

Hi Claire, sorry to hear you are having a tough time. First thing to do is to get your thyroid back under control as it can have a very negative effect on fertility. Also as you are over 35 you only need to have been ttc for 6 months to go to your GP and get a referral to a fertility clinic. They will then run various tests and offer you treatment if you need it.

Your BF being away during the week must be a nightmare with ttc. Do you track ovulation at all? I would recommend tracking it and then if it is falling right in the middle of the week is it possible for you guys to get together for the night?

I've been ttc for 4 years, I'm 35 this year. I've got pcos and problems with thyroid antibodies. Currently under the fertility clinic and on my 6th and final round of clomid. It is very stressful at times and feels so unfair. Try to stay positive and do as much as you can to help yourself. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I can't seem to stop crying today lol!!
I have been to the GP as Ive been off my pill for 2 years but he said to see the thyroid consultant and then go back to see him for next steps.
I having been tracking my ovulation but feel like I am getting more stressed using them as when the 'still face' arrives and my boyfriend isn't here there is nothing I can do. He is in the forces so unable to come home when he needs to be. Also added to the mix is the fact he works nights some weeks so when the weekends come he just wants to sleep.
So sorry to ramble on just really feeling it now and feel like the only one.
x

Can you not go to him on your fertile days? Get a premier inn? I do understand as my ex was forces and it was difficult at times. We had to snatch random days to be together as we worked nearly 200 miles apart, fortunately we weren't ttc so we didn't have that pressure.

Your thyroid is a huge factor so don't be too disheartened, if it has been out of whack that is bound to be the cause for you, so once it is under control you should be well away.

Thank you again for your reply. This is the first time I have posted on here.

I wish that I could but my job doesn't allow me to do that - unable to take odd days off etc
I guess I am just having a bad day and I will have to wait and see what the consultant says. xx

That's ok, this forum is a great place for support.

I'll be honest, I would have to change jobs. For me ttc is more important, I couldn't live with myself if I hadn't made every effort to have a baby, especially as I'm knocking on a bit now for a first time mum. I will do anything to get my husband the baby he so desperately wants. I would also expect my oh to be making an effort and ensuring that we dtd plenty when he was home. I think it is selfish to put the pressure on you just because he wants some sleep. What is his lifestyle like? He needs to cut down on the alcohol/smoking if he hasn't already and get him taking some male conception vitamins. It would also be beneficial if he had a sperm analysis (which is one of the tests they will do for you if you can get referred to the fertility clinic).

i'm a teacher so changing jobs is not so easy unfortunately.
We have both made lifestyle changes and he is waiting to see his gp about the situation. My gp said that they will take a sperm sample.

I had a total career change to be with my husband. I admit it was drastic, I had spent 5 years at uni and then years of professional qualifications on top but I knew I had to do it if I wanted him and a family. It came down to what I wanted more. It's been 6 years and I don't regret it at all. I did love my job but what I do now is better (though admittedly much much poorer pay) and I enjoy a better lifestyle. Just need those children now but they are proving to be elusive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back