Stretch and Sweep

stephlw25

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if any one previoulsy had a membrane sweep to try and get labour started? i see my midwife on friday if baby still hasnt arrived and she said about sweeping my membranes, so to those who have prior experience of this...

how long does it take and does it hurt?!!! :shock:

And was it effective in bringing on labour??

thanks x x

hi just pm u!!

have a long walk, hot curry and a gd session of sex lol

hopefully his will work 4 u!!!

the walk did me

good luck hun!!!!!!! :D :D

Hello Steph
Will she do this procedure when you go there on the Fri or do you have to make an appointment to go back and have it done?
Please could you put a little info about what you have been advised, as I would be interested to see too. I have midwife on Weds so hoping she may suggest this for me too?
Good luck anyway xx

Hiya

Ive had a few sweeps with mine. Basically she will give you an internal and literally sweep your cervix...twist her fingers round in clockwise/anticlockwise movement. It takes seconds, I would say that its uncomfortable as much as internals are anyways but not painful. I would imagine this will be done at your visit to the midwife in the hope that it will start you off a few hours later. I would wear a pad with you cos sometimes (only sometimes) you may have a tiny bit of bleeding (from the cervix)

Its honestly nothing to worry about (im the biggest wimp) and quite often it will start off the labour.

GOOD LUCK

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi thanks for your replies,

overthemoon - im seeing my midwife next friday and i think she will just talk about having a sweep, so when i see her she should make an appointment for me to have it done and she will come to my house to do it! however i might just ask if she could do it when im there on friday! hopefully wont need to thou! really dont fancy being induced!!

I had a sweep at 40wks with Charlotte, waters broke spontaneously two days later. It felt a bit uncomfortable, but I think that was more to do with having an internal than anything he was actually doing in there. Also had a wierd feeling that everything was going to fall out through my cervix afterwards, but again not painful, just uncomfortable.

Tracy

With Ava I had 3 membranes sweeps altogether and still had to be induced. It was quite painful for me! :shock:

My friend had a sweep recently, and at the time she didn't think it had worked at all. Looking back though, she thinks now that it did have an affect and she went into slow labor afterwards.
She did find it quite painful though.

Ok gonna ask a really dumb question, but what do they do to you to induce you/sweep etc :oops:

newbump said:
Ok gonna ask a really dumb question, but what do they do to you to induce you/sweep etc :oops:

The sweep comes first, and the midwife uses her fingers to sweep aside the membranes blocking your uterus.

There are different way to induce, I had a pessary (like a jelly full of hormones) inserted. Then you just wait around, and if nothing happens they might put more in.
The other way my hospital induce is by putting like a little balloon inside you and inflating it using water next to the neck of the womb, which softens it, apparently.

Thank you for that, at least i know now if i have to go through it!!!! :lol:

When I was induced they inserted Cervidil and left that for 12hrs to soften my cervix but it really didn't change anything. It brought on very mild contractions though. Next they started me on Pitocin which brought on very strong and regular contractions. They would increase the Pitocin every hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back