Strep B

Tigeress

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

Hope your all well, so I had my midwife appointment on Monday and I've been diagnosed with strep B. Has anyone else got this?
Xx

Were you diagnosed from a swab or a urine sample. If it was a swab I think they can check again later in pregnancy because it often goes away on its own. If it is still positive or if it was in your urine now they will give you a drip with antibiotics during labour to give protection to the baby. With treatment it is very rare for it to cause any issues.

Thanks hun, I think it was from a swab. She did talk about antibiotics during Labour. I'm just confused as to what it is, the leaflet I read has said all sorts of things :/ xx

Hi tigeress I've had group b strep both pregnancies, I first from a vaginal swab this time it's in my urine I was told if it's from a swab they'll monitor you and baby but won't normally require antibiotics in labour if it's in your urine like I have it this time, you will require iv antibiotics 4 hourly once in labour and you and baby will be monitored for 24-48 hours after delivery

I had it in urine sample and although I never had it again from then on, I still had the antibiotics through IV and and I stayed in hospital an extra night to keep a check on baby. Who was fine! :) Try not to worry. I worried but my midwife reassured me by saying at least they know and can take preventative measures to help keep baby! I have to have the IV antibiotics for all future pregnancies now too.

Good luck in your pregnancy! X

I asked my midwife about this as my sister had it with 3 of her 4 kids ! I didn't have it with my 1st and only on my 2nd baby due within the week .
I asked if I needs to be tested etc, she said they don't routinely check for it but if I was to go in with my waters breaking they would swab me. I had asked because at this late stage I'd like to know if I have something that is potentially dangerous to baby.

I wasn't aware of the urine sample, she only told me about the swab and that they can give antibiotics if need be during labour ? Time of delivery ?

She did also say that they don't routinely check for it because it can come me and go. You could have a positive swab at 36 weeks and a clear one at 39 weeks ....

Ooooh ok, thank you for your replied ladies.
I was reading the leaflet and it freaked me right out. I gave a urine sample at appointment just gone so hopefully it'll come back clear next time. My last one was defo a vaginal swab so, will it show in urine as well unless it's gone or do they have to be done separately?
I'm just over 28 weeks so there might be time for it to go before she arrives xx

They test it separately so if I don't hear from them then urone sample is clear

Oh lovely thanks hun, fingers crossed then xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back