Strep B

FBTTN8079

Reaction score
Has anyone sent off for the private testing? How is it done & at what stage of the pregnancy do you do it? X

Hi strep b can come and go so no point getting tested so i was told. My hospital moniter you during birth and if you have aigns they treat you for it. You couls get tested now and not have it but get it later on.

I'm a massive advocate of strep b testing as a few others on here will be. I tested positive for it after a MC and was told by my MW I couldn't have on the NHS for my last pg because it 'comes and goes' which wasn't good enough for me as it is life threatening for baby if you have it and pass it on. I ordered a private test and as suspected I had it so had Antibiotics during labour. It's about £35 so not extortionate and you get it done between 35-37 weeks so chances are if you're positive then you will be during labour. It's just a vaginal swab you do yourself and post it off (or your mw would likely do it for you if you asked nicely!). Here's the link:

http://www.groupbstreptest.co.uk/

Last edited:
I went into triage at 31 weeks because of suspected PROM & reduced movements, they did a speculum to check my waters hadn't gone and also did a swab, within two days they phoned me to inform me I was GBS positive (something which I had no idea what it meant) however my community MW has plastered it all over my notes and have informed me that I must inform the labour ward when/if I'm in suspected labour because it's important to have the antibiotics sooner rather than later! I had no idea it could come and go though? I think it's definitely worth checking to see if you have it privately, alternatively raise your concerns to your MW and they may be able to do it for you. If I hadn't been in to triage that day I would of never of known, something which could of been life threatening to my son! xx

I just asked my consultant for it on Monday and he gave me the test. I just swabbed myself (down there) and he sends it off. I am 26 weeks in a few days and he didn't say anything about it being too late or early so I assume it's fine! It was free, too, so not private testing just NHS. I think you just have to ask, as he had the tests in his office in a drawer!

Last edited:
Yes it's transient so can come and go but other countries like America who test all women have a much lower rate of babies affected by strep B which can be devastating!
The real reason the NHS don't test is all to do with costs!
My midwife was happy for me to privately test but did explain it's transient think that's why your meant to test 35 weeks and upwards so it's as close to labour as possible.

http://gbss.org.uk/information-and-support/testing-for-gbs/ecm-test-where-how/

This video helps explain the importance of testing; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDrwQpJczu4

Laura think you were lucky as they will not offer me to be tested at the hospital. I will have to pay myself.

Xx

Does anyone know how it works if you get tested privately and test positive (in terms of when you go into the labour ward that is..)? I guess you have to take the letter with you to get the antibiotics? Seems I was lucky in my last pregnancy (5 years ago) as they tested everyone routinely. Even if it is transient, surely a positive result that close to delivery and they'd either re-test you at the hospital or just stick you on the antibiotics as precaution? I certainly wouldn't use that to dissuade anyone from getting tested as it's such an easy way to avoid a potentially disastrous scenario.. I know for sure i'll be getting tested one way or another xx

The company I used sent a letter to my gp so my mw had it and so put the warning stickers on my notes ready for labour, otherwise you'd just present them with the results if positive and she'd do same. They'd just put you on the antibiotics yeah. It seems quite discretionary on whether it's offered and varies on who you see (e.g. Consultant, mw etc).

I tested positive via a vaginal swab in my fries pregnancy that does not require antibiotics, this pregnancy I tested positive in my urine which does require antibiotics. I had oral antibiotics at the start of my pregnancy, I'm not being tested again I will just get I.V antibiotics during labour and hope it's enough to get yo baby so she won't need antibiotics.
If you can afford it I'd get the test

I decided to get the done during my last pregnancy (8 years ago). As others have said, it can come and go, so is usually best tested quite late in pregnancy. I mentioned it to my MW and she arranged an appointment with a head MW to do the swab for me (I had to bring the test with me). From memory, they sent the results both to me and my GP.

I was a bit shocked when it came back positive. My MW then advised that I would be required to have intravenous antibiotics before the birth and baby would be monitored for 24 hours after birth.

My waters broke early (one of the signs of GBS) and thankfully all went well. I'm so glad I made the decision to get tested though.

I have a meeting with a consultant for my current pregnancy due to my history of GBS. I'm hoping that this means I will be offered a test, however, if not I will get a private test done anyway.

I tested positive via a vaginal swab in my fries pregnancy that does not require antibiotics, this pregnancy I tested positive in my urine which does require antibiotics. I had oral antibiotics at the start of my pregnancy, I'm not being tested again I will just get I.V antibiotics during labour and hope it's enough to get yo baby so she won't need antibiotics.
If you can afford it I'd get the test

Mummywanabe I may be misunderstanding what you mean, but as I understand it there's no difference in treatment for gbs. If you test positive vaginally or by urine the treatment is the same? Please tell me if I'm not reading your comment right, I'm pretty tired!!

Just what my consultant had told me because I had asked why it wasn't given in first pregnancy but is in second and she had said it was because of where it was located, a midwife also told me the same, you probably are right I've found them totally incompetent so far when I tried to get any real information about it from them, or it could be different hospital trusts have different policies I'm in Northern Ireland so it may be different here than the rest of UK

Thanks girls, I will look into having it done when I'm a bit more ahead, I'll also chat with my consultant when I see her on Monday. X

Just what my consultant had told me because I had asked why it wasn't given in first pregnancy but is in second and she had said it was because of where it was located, a midwife also told me the same, you probably are right I've found them totally incompetent so far when I tried to get any real information about it from them, or it could be different hospital trusts have different policies I'm in Northern Ireland so it may be different here than the rest of UK

Yeah that may be the case re trusts. Just for info, the official GBS charity advises antibiotics either way x

Strep b is harmless to us if found in vagina and so does not need to be treated until during labour when the baby passes through. However strep B in the urine can cause a urinary infection which can be harmful to you and baby and so you would need oral antibiotics straight away.

I tested positive at 36 weeks and went into labour at 37. I told my midwife who was sent a letter and I stuck the letter I received into my maternity notes.

My labour was so short that I didn't actually have time for antibiotics but my daughter was monitored for 13 hours after for any sign of infection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back