Strep B testing

strongminded

Reaction score
Hi All. Anyone got tested for the Strep B bacteria? I saw this segment on This Morning that said all pregnant women should be tested for it by their GPs as could be fatal for baby. Its the first time i have heard of this

I have but it was private, there is a charity called the blayze'ing star that will pay for a private test, they'll send you swabs to take and a cheque to send to the lab (it costs £35) but they just ask for a donation. I went through them and me and hubby both donated to them to cover the cost. Should have the results back this week x

Are you able to swab yourself? How do you know how far/where to swab? X

Yeah you swab yourself, well I had to get hubby to do it, they send you instructions so you no what to do.

I might look into that, don't think I'm having a vaginal delivery though x

Apparently you can still pass it on even with a c-section, think there is a story on the charity website. Obviously the risks are less but you'd still be given antibiotics if you tested positive.

Oh I never knew that, I will most definitely be looking into that then as time is of the essence and I don't see the nhs doing one x

I was tested through the nhs luckily as I was strep b positive I had antibiotics throughout labour a baby is fine I'll be treated as though I have it in any other pregnancy now glad they found out I would pay £35 for peace of mind

I had it with my son but they didn't tell me until after I had given birth, I've mentioned it countless amounts of times and they still haven't tested me x

They should treat you as though you have it this pregnancy x

That's what I thought, but they don't seem too bothered, slightly annoying as I'm already a double high risk. X

Ive just ordered one from here:

http://www.groupbstreptest.co.uk/

They send you the kit for free and then you send the payment back with the swabs, it should be done in between 35-37 weeks preferably.

I remember doing the test with my middle son and got a text to say it was negative, they did a big thing on this morning back in 2008 and that's why i sent off for one. The costs is £35 xxx

Can you do it earlier as I will of had babies by 37 weeks x

When I gave birth to my last baby he was born with this horrible infection was in intensive care over in yorkhill and was on antibiotics for a week. I have mentioned time and time again about it this preg and have never been tested so I hope they plan in giving me the antibiotic during labour

In the states this test is automatic around 36/37 weeks.

I had the Strep B test done on the same day via NHS and privately last week. I was 37 weeks - the reason they give you between 35-37 is that it can change last minute so it can be missed, so they like you to have it as near to delivery as possible with time for results to be recorded.

I had Strep B in my last pregnancy. Which was picked up in a urine test. So antibiotics administered through labour.

I decided to have an additional private test done after the NHS test ( I asked my midwife for one as told her I had unusual discharge - I didn't but wanted the test ) as the NHS only does a vaginal swab and you carry it in your rectum too as pass it that way too . And because I had it before I needed this reassurance.

Interesting enough though both tests done on same day were conflicting. Private one said Negative and NHS positive !!!

A bit confused ( might have understood it the other way around given the reason for extra testing by myself ) by this but will obviously go with positive one and have antibiotics during labour. Had them last labour and fine and not too much of a discomfort .

I think this is the reason that the NHS doesn't do it routinely as the results can vary and change although you wouldn't expect this to happen on the day of the test!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back