Strep b infection

Loulabear

Reaction score
I was hoping someone on here could offer some advice or suggestions.
At 14 weeks I was found to have a strep b infection in my urine sample and placed on antibiotics. I have finished them and I am awaiting the results from a retest sample (I'm now 18 weeks and apparently will get retested each month). I have felt baby move occasionally and I've also bought a home Doppler (good and bad idea I know!) and found the heartbeat fine on a number of occasions. I'm so worried something is going to go wrong because of the strep b that I'm finding it really difficult bonding with my unborn baby ��.
I'm also worried about having sex/orgasming in case it manages to pass the infection into the womb (sorry if tmi). I've done a lot of reading but I can't find anything conclusive .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey hope this helps... just coz you had it then does not mean you will get it again. You can have it one day then not the next which is why they do not routinely test for it my hospital look for signs during labour and if your showing or labour taking to long they just give you the med for it. X

I had strep b with my son but didn't find out the results until after his birth ( he was born the day after the swab was done) apparently or so I was told, it will only be harmful to baby during/after birth you will have antibiotics during labour and baby would get them after and that should keep them healthy

So turns out I do have it again although this time in my urine so midwife says I definitely will need antibiotic treatment during labour, , I was given antibiotics but I didn't finish the course due to hyperemesis I could only manage 2 out of 3 antibiotics per day. I tried to talk to the consultant about it yesterday and said shat happens she looked at my notes put a strep b sticker on it and said 'that happens' and closed my notes and gave them back to me so I'll talk to my midwife when I see her in 3 weeks

I got tested for this in the first trimester and came back positive but have not been tested since. Im due at christmas. Is it worth bringing up with the midwife or getting a test done myself? Or should i just leave it and carry on as i am?

I tested positive for strep b at the end of my pregnancy with my second child. I was told I would need iv antibiotics during labour to protect the baby. The doses needed to be given 4 hours apart but they wouldn't allow me in to hospital until my contractions were 2-3 mins apart. By the time I got there, baby was on his way and they only managed 1 dose. Therefore he was taken to nicu shortly after the birth to be given iv antibiotics. We had to stay in until he finished the course.
Do not ignore it, you'll most likely need the antibiotics-absolutely bring it up with gp/midwife and keep getting tested. No doubt they will give u antibiotics during labour as a precaution. It did mean I couldn't have the water birth I wanted though, but this was over 3 years ago and things may have changed. Just check with a healthcare professional any concerns you have.
I've so far tested negative but given I've tested positive before, I'm presuming they will give me iv antibiotics as a precaution during labour again. I have my booking appointment on Thursday so will find out then. X

If you've tested positive you should receive IV antibiotics during labour. My midwife told me that even though I may never have it again, because I tested positive once I'll need antibiotics during labour for my next baby too!

My cousin had this & never knew, her baby was born with meningitis & was really poorly. Luckily all is well now but it's not worth the risk, tell your midwife, get your ugly STREP B sticker on your notes! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back